Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2007, 03:47 PM

Default Re: Comm 40: I donk twice and get raised twice

[ QUOTE ]
Good game tonight, I'm running well and have a solid image.

Random weird Middle Eastern regular raises in EP and is cold-called by button. Button is the early 30-something brown-haired white chick who's 8 months pregnant and is a bit of a table coach; she's stuck a lot tonight but isn't spewing. I'm in the BB and elect to call with AKo. (Eh?)

Flop: KJ4r

I bet, PFR folds, button raises. I call.

Turn: 2

I bet. Button says, in a sincere and quiet tone, "you have two pair?" and raises.

My play?

[/ QUOTE ]

Your flop play is inconsistent with just calling preflop. When you just call here in the big blind you should either have in mind check raising the flop, or donk/3bet.

If you had 3 bet preflop and lead flop, perhaps you would not 3 bet if raised on the flop. You'd have more information about the strength of your opponents hand. Because you did not 3 bet the flop here, your opponent does not think that you flopped two pair, a set, or have AK. She is looking puzzled wondering how the turn may have helped you. And if it did, you probably would have gone for a check raise on the turn. Your play just looks illogical from your opponent's point of view. She can't put you on a hand. She has something decent so she raised.
Old 08-22-2007, 03:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The MPC, having thoroughly discussed this hand, has deemed it in such a state of disarray that it is impossible to decide where to even begin dissecting this abomination.

[/ QUOTE ]

This gimmick account is really not funny anymore.

[/ QUOTE ]

The MPC is not here for your amusement. It exists to return credibility to these once great forums. Once you come to terms with this undeniable fact, you will thank us.
Old 08-22-2007, 04:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do any of you guys interpret her question as "crap, if you have 2 pair, I'm screwed"?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not really. She could be saying "you have two pair, that's nice, more money now" .... given surfdoc's read it seems like a made hand is more likely.

although, against many players you would be right on.
Old 08-22-2007, 05:09 PM

The best reason to play a strong hand strangely is because it might induce more action from a thinking player later in the hand.

The worst reason is that you sometimes don't know what this action means. And with your image, this action still probably means you lose and there's a pretty good chance you are slaughtered. The problem with player descriptions is that I often run into hands, probably twice a day or so, that completely defy reads I have on players. It may be that I'm reading players poorly, but sometimes they just get massively out of line.

That said, with your image in this spot, I'd say you're not often drawing to more than three outs. I hate this because against a decent player you've got a profitable calldown because of the bizarre way you've played the hand but against someone like you described, you're effed anyways.

-Michael
Old 08-22-2007, 05:17 PM

Funny, I originally misread your post and thought she 3-bet preflop and said she had pocket aces, you're cooked. But I think you're cooked anyway. The problem is that there's no way she puts you on A-K. Does that mean she's got K-Q? It's not in her character to raise the turn here after you donk behind her flop bet. I think her most likely hand is K-J.

So after I posted my earlier (deleted) post, I played with her today. She called 2 cold from the big blind after I had 3-bet preflop, called my flop and turn bets, and the board ended up A-T-9--6-7 and she donked the river. I put her 95% on an 8. That was too low.
Old 08-22-2007, 06:35 PM

Hmm... is her name Sam? I played with her for a little bit in the 40 and agree with everyone description of her. Also i played with her husband in the 20, i was joking around and said, "you professional?" and he answers in a serious voice "yes" haha... wow never had someone answer that question like that.

Anyway i would 3-bet PF and would lead flop. usually 3-bet flop, but against her probably call. Her hands looks alot like KJ to me, maybe sailboats heh
Old 08-22-2007, 06:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also i played with her husband in the 20, i was joking around and said, "you professional?" and he answers in a serious voice "yes" haha... wow never had someone answer that question like that.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's pretty funny...I don't know too many professionals who are in the habit of cold-calling my raises with 78o and the like, but whatever.
Old 08-22-2007, 07:15 PM

I know who this lady is - I played a lot with her a couple of weeks ago. Reraise and call down. She's a complete spaz who does like to get her chips in there with seemingly no rhyme or reason.

FWIW, I would have jammed preflop and on the flop.
Old 08-22-2007, 07:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I know who this lady is - I played a lot with her a couple of weeks ago. Reraise and call down. She's a complete spaz who does like to get her chips in there with seemingly no rhyme or reason.

[/ QUOTE ]

Was she on tilt (not an uncommon theme) when you played with her? It sounds like it. Maybe Shawn has to give us that info because that obviously swings everything.
Old 08-22-2007, 07:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Was she on tilt (not an uncommon theme) when you played with her? It sounds like it. Maybe Shawn has to give us that info because that obviously swings everything.

[/ QUOTE ]

She was stuck big (at least a couple of racks, but she had been losing before I sat down), but didn't appear to be going on crazy monkey tilt. She'd always have a decent hand to showdown, but she'd frequently call down a lot when it looked to me she was beat.