Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-09-2006, 05:29 PM

Default Re: Do you use a card protector?

I usually stay out of the 1/2 and 9/10 seats, so its not such an issue. Here in Florida we have mostly SNGs, so I just grab a smoking seat, which is 3-8. I usually keep a finger or something on the cards. I never consciously decided to do this, but I noticed it a while ago. Anyway, The seat I am usually in, there is no way for him to get my cards from his seat. I've just never seen a dealer tell someone to put a chip on their cards.
Old 03-09-2006, 05:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I usually keep a finger or something on the cards.

[/ QUOTE ]

The "or something" part scares me. And I assume you mean your own finger, right?
Old 03-09-2006, 05:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyway, The seat I am usually in, there is no way for him to get my cards from his seat.

[/ QUOTE ]

The dealer swiping them isn't the only reason to protect your cards.

b
Old 03-09-2006, 05:49 PM

I use my card protector for several reasons. First, it has a little bit of personal value to me; it was a very nice coin with my undergrad's seal on it that I received from a good friend when I graduated. Second, I don't want the dealer mistakenly mucking my cards, or more importantly, for my cards to be declared dead when another player's mucked cards hit mine.

A little B&M story. I was playing in the #1 seat (at the Dealer's immediate left). I decided to call, capped my cards with my protector, and pushed them a little bit away from me so people at the other end of the table (Seats 8, 9, and 10) could see I was in the hand. Shortly thereafter, the player in Seat #3 mucked, and because of the way he awkwardly threw them, they landed directly on top of my cards/protector. Because I had my cards protected, the dealer simply took the mucked cards and my hand was still live. However, if I didn't have my cards protected, that would have killed my hand. So I use a card protector to protect my hand from being accidently mucked by the dealer or declared dead when runaway mucked cards touch my cards.
Old 03-09-2006, 05:53 PM

Maybe the Foxwoods dealer who posts here can jump in on this, but I've never heard of the rule that if a player throws his cards away and they land on your's that your hand is dead. If this is a rule then whoever invented it should be kicked in the nuts. Hey, I don't like that guy in seat 7, I'm gonna throw my cards at his and kill his hand. WTF?
Old 03-09-2006, 06:13 PM

i use one to protect my cards from the dealer if i happen to be in the 1 seat or the 10. otherwise, i think they look cool and they're for good luck... i have silver dollars from the years my kids were born encased in acrylic
Old 03-09-2006, 06:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe the Foxwoods dealer who posts here can jump in on this, but I've never heard of the rule that if a player throws his cards away and they land on your's that your hand is dead. If this is a rule then whoever invented it should be kicked in the nuts. Hey, I don't like that guy in seat 7, I'm gonna throw my cards at his and kill his hand. WTF?

[/ QUOTE ]

In rooms I have played in....if the hand is protected its live if its not protected its dead.
Old 03-09-2006, 06:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Chips are fine but can also lead to a tell - more chips means a strong hand, less means a weak hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wondered if anyone was going to mention this tell. I've noticed it as well, and though I don't use a card protector, I always use the same number of chips to protect my cards, or, will sometimes use more or less on purpose to give off a reverse tell.
Old 03-09-2006, 07:01 PM

I used to use a chip from my stack to protect my cards until I visited Tucson's Gem & Mineral show this year. I found a piece of spectrolite (Finnish labradorite) that's very unusual, very pretty, and is just the right size.

This isn't my piece, but it gives you the idea. Mine actually has more red and green in it.

For physics/optics geeks: Can you explain why you can only see the colors when you hold the stone at one particular orientation (assuming one light source)? If you rotate the stone 180 degrees, you can't see the colors and it just looks black so there's something going on besides a linear grating effect. Same for all other orientations except one. Some kind of retardant/thin film phenominon?
Old 03-09-2006, 07:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In rooms I have played in....if the hand is protected its live if its not protected its dead.

[/ QUOTE ]