Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2007, 11:46 AM

Default Paying for Food/Drink

I host a bi-weekly 10c/20c NL game and I am looking to expand to also hosting a 25c/50c game. Since I always host, my issue is with providing food and drink.

At first, I was providing pizza and beer and charging people if they ate/drank. I was losing money and so I cut out the pizza and just got beer, but I am still losing money. It is not a lot of money, but since the stakes are so low, I feel it is an issue. It is also significant because I am not playing with a group of good friends, there are often quite a few randoms in my games and why should I buy randoms beer? The problem is basically that no matter how many people buy in for beer, we drink all the beer. If everyone wants to drink and pays, I recoup my money... if only a few do, the same amount of beer is drunk, but I end up paying for a lot of it. My goal is not to make money here (although I feel like I have a small right to, as I always host and I provide all the equipment), I just want to break even.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I feel my options are these:

1) Don't provide any food or drink (not really preferable because I have been, I will look cheap and I like to drink when I play)

2) Charge more for the people that do drink

3) Charge a flat fee to everyone who shows up and provide snacks and non-beer beverages (I don't really want to have a rake, because it is complicated at low stakes and slows play).
Old 08-22-2007, 11:52 AM

Default Re: Paying for Food/Drink

[ QUOTE ]
My goal is not to make money here (although I feel like I have a small right to, as I always host and I provide all the equipment),

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't go there.

[ QUOTE ]
3) Charge a flat fee to everyone who shows up and provide snacks and non-beer beverages (I don't really want to have a rake, because it is complicated at low stakes and slows play).

[/ QUOTE ]

No, you don't want to have a rake, because it's probably illegal.

I used to do a fluctuating fee, depending on expenses for each game. Now, I do $5 flat for everyone (INCLUDING myself, btw, even though I don't drink).

The problem you have is, your game limits are pretty low so the vig is a high percentage.

I would give your group either option 1 (and byob and s) or option 3. Let them decide, then go from there.
Old 08-22-2007, 11:52 AM

I'd quit serving or charge more. Be honest with them. Tell them you don't mind providing the food/drink, but you do mind paying for it.

Personally, I'd just let them BYOB and provide a place to put snacks/potluck.
Old 08-22-2007, 12:01 PM

Got to 2nd what Larry said. And I'll repeat that making money or raking from the game is most likely illegal. Just be upfront and honest with them, explain the situation and go from there.

It might take a few tries to work out the correct fee structure, especially if you have players coming late and joining in as another leaves. But if you get too much one night you can just roll that to the next game

At my games I put out a "tip jar", actually it's labelled as "Voluntary food contribution" and it's big...lol. This way if anyone is feeling generous and wants to donate a little extra they can. And it sits right next to all the food.
Old 08-22-2007, 01:07 PM

Don't worry about trying to be the uber-host and provide everything. In the long run, people will respect a clean, well managed game. If you really feel you must provide something, get a couple of bags of chips and some ice for the cooler. BYOB, and y'all can order for pizza or something later in the night.

I used to have a whole little barbecue for my weekly game, setting up the grill and providing lots of stuff. That ended shortly after we had more than five people showing up. Nobody cares, and in fact they're happier because they can buy whatever brand of beer they want.

I throw a monthly tournament where I provide a lot of food and beverage, and I have an entry fee that covers that. I usually still end up eating a little bit of the cost, but it's enough to have a few leftover beers for at least a week and enough hooch to last the month.

So stop providing beer. The lack of stress over it should be very much +EV. You should be able to enjoy your own games, after all.
Old 08-22-2007, 01:21 PM

i see where you're coming from... and i agree that you don't need to be buying randoms beer/food for this microstakes game.

best way to go is BYOB i think... maybe offer someone a beer for 3 buckstotal if they don't bring anything and want one... but BYOB sounds reasonable.

in this kind of game, i wouldn't be opposed to paying a $1-2 food rake for some snackables if you really wanna spice it up.
Old 08-22-2007, 01:31 PM

Personally, I would just announce at the next game that this will be the last time you provide and it will be BYOB & snacks from now on.
I always buy an 18 pack and ice for two ice chests, so others can put their drinks in them. A few empty handers come, but most provide enough to cover them. I always greet them, the empty handers, with, "You can put your beer in the ice chest over there." They sheepishly tell me they didn't bring any, but usually do the next week.

As a host, you have to just eat some costs. It's part of the game I guess. I am fortunate to have quite a few other players who host as well, so I am not the only one.
Old 08-23-2007, 03:50 AM

How about everyone brings their own beer? and if you guys want food everyone chip in.
Old 08-23-2007, 08:47 AM

if you're not raking

BYOB FTW [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Old 08-23-2007, 10:31 AM

BYOB
Order a pizza half way into the game and ask if anyone wants to chip in. If no one chips in eat as much of it as you like once it arrives and stick the rest in the fridge.
As host you have to be willing to shell out a few bucks here and there. Instead of absolutely no food, I would provide chips ..... drink your own beer along with it while letting everyone else go thirsty .... it will drive home even more the policy of BYOB.