Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2007, 09:35 AM

Default Re: I like Americans

yeah americans have a really undeserved bad reputation in england. it's pretty silly and nearly always propagated by those who have never actually left their own shores and have simply bought into the stereotype that americans as a whole are dumb and fat.

yeah you have your fair share of idiots, but what country doesnt?
Old 08-22-2007, 09:50 AM

Some thoughts on the French, db?
Old 08-22-2007, 10:04 AM

db,

huge difference between rural and urban regions in America. most people on this planet will be friendly with someone asking for directions or standing in the same line. i moved from a city to a rural region. all of our neighbors were super nice. in the city, i had never even spoken to my neighbors. anyways, after they found out we didn't go to church they stopped talking to us. they would still smile, but it was like an "Im smiling because im a good Christian, not because i dont think youre going to burn in hell".
Old 08-22-2007, 10:20 AM

I've met some Brits I really like, but for some reason, I always feel like I'm offending them. Northern Brits I find much more laid-back and friendly than southern, and much easier to click with.

I love Australians and Kiwi. Especially the men. For some reason, they've always struck me as improved versions of Americans.

My closest friend is Romanian, and most of the people I hang out with regularly are Norwegian, Swedish, Canadian, and Maltese. All generally cool people. Norwegians in particular I like because they're very blunt, honest people. I don't know many Americans where I live (and I'm American), and I'm perfectly alright with that.

Had a great conversation recently with an English teacher in Norway who was telling her students an appropriate way to excuse themselves to use the toilet when in England. They couldn't understand that you can't just say "I'm going to go take a [censored]," because that's what they'd say in Norwegian.

I also really like Japanese people. I've met a bunch of Japanese, and have liked every one.

I tend to not like Russians of both genders and a lot of former Soviet bloc females. Might just be because of different goals/values.

All that being said, it's hard to generalize these things.
Old 08-22-2007, 10:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, I quite like French people, though I rip the piss out of the French for their white-flag-waving tendencies. Parisians have a terrible attitude to tourists, and that attitude seems to be the national stereotype for all - but outside Paris, the people are pretty great (I suspect Parisians are fine once you actually get to know them).

In fact I get on with pretty much anyone from any part of Europe. I like Sweden and have been to Stockholm(but oh my God the outdoor swimming pools with the topless teen Swedes is a trial by fire for an attached man), dug Italians in Rome (GO TO ROME IF YOU GO NOWHERE ELSE IN EUROPE!), been to Denmark, Belgium, Spain, Germany. All nice people.

One thing I will say is that French women can be a really special type of woman. They have a certain something, maybe down to the accent and the directness, that is very refreshing and charming. and they, like a lot of English women, can be tough as nails without losing a shred of femininity. That's my kind of woman.

Watch 'Before Sunrise' to get the idea.
Old 08-22-2007, 11:10 AM

Who likes the germans?

btw, i also like americans. I've been to USA twice(Aspen and Ft.Lauderdale for Holidays) and most Americans I met were polite, friendly and all had an positive attitude towards hard-working(harder than the average german).
Old 08-22-2007, 12:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, I quite like French people, though I rip the piss out of the French for their white-flag-waving tendencies. Parisians have a terrible attitude to tourists, and that attitude seems to be the national stereotype for all - but outside Paris, the people are pretty great (I suspect Parisians are fine once you actually get to know them).

In fact I get on with pretty much anyone from any part of Europe. I like Sweden and have been to Stockholm(but oh my God the outdoor swimming pools with the topless teen Swedes is a trial by fire for an attached man), dug Italians in Rome (GO TO ROME IF YOU GO NOWHERE ELSE IN EUROPE!), been to Denmark, Belgium, Spain, Germany. All nice people.

One thing I will say is that French women can be a really special type of woman. They have a certain something, maybe down to the accent and the directness, that is very refreshing and charming. and they, like a lot of English women, can be tough as nails without losing a shred of femininity. That's my kind of woman.

[/ QUOTE ]

well, I now know where my next vacation is going to be.
Old 08-22-2007, 12:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

well, I now know where my next vacation is going to be.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, but Dom, they're like 13-14, you just feel terrible and sleazy.

What am I saying?
Old 08-22-2007, 02:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Who likes the germans?

btw, i also like americans. I've been to USA twice(Aspen and Ft.Lauderdale for Holidays) and most Americans I met were polite, friendly and all had an positive attitude towards hard-working(harder than the average german).

[/ QUOTE ]

I do, and so do my brother and his wife, who are moving there after living in Paris for about five years.
Old 08-22-2007, 04:04 PM

Yes, i like this:

[ QUOTE ]
I rip the piss out of the French for their white-flag-waving tendencies.

[/ QUOTE ]

And this:

[ QUOTE ]
(I suspect Parisians are up their own a$$ once you actually get to know them).

[/ QUOTE ]

(FYP)

And i`ll grudgingly accept this:

[ QUOTE ]
French women can be a really special type of woman. They have a certain something, maybe down to the accent and the directness, that is very refreshing and charming. and they, like a lot of English women, can be tough as nails without losing a shred of femininity.

[/ QUOTE ]

But this:

[ QUOTE ]
outside Paris, the people are pretty great

[/ QUOTE ]

i cant believe you said that.

The english and the french have been at various stages of conflict on and off for a thousand years or more.

To the english these days though its just a bit of a laugh. We dont hate them anymore. OK so we slate their overrated culinary abilities, ridicule their horrendous dress sense, mock their effeminate accent, remind them of their refusal to fight during the great war and pull their pants down about Agincourt over and over, and trafalgar. What a hoot!

But honestly, its like the whole nation had a humour-otomy.Accusing the english of being racist and xenophobic everytime we take the piss out of them is just lame.

Theres all kinds of stuff they could counter with (i`m not doing a list for them.) err, anyway.. Keeping it positve..

I`ve got alot of respect for the french.
I love the way the whole of western europe comes to a standstill if they dont get their own way.

Remember them burning our sheep at bolougne? lol. no sea freight in or out for a month over fishing quotas? -quality.
What about that time they spread muck over central paris cos they didnt like the farming subsidies they were getting? -beautiful
And we all love the annual air traffic controllers strike dont we? come on! every summer? that rocks!

You know what? i quite like those french. they got balls these days.

spell checker not working