Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Limit-->NL
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2007, 05:16 AM

Default Are correct blind stealing hands dependent on stack size?

I've been wondering whether the type of hands we should be stealing with should be adjusted according to, amongst other things, the effective stack size.

For example, if hero and the blinds have 100bb+, should we prefer to steal with hands that play well with deeper stacks (such as those suggested in NLHTAP) just in case we get called? This list doesn't include hands such as rag offsuit aces and hands like J9, but instead includes hands that are good at extracting the most money from deep stacks postflop.

On the other hand if the effective stack size is only (say) 50bb, should we be stealing with hands similar to that we would in limit, whose high card strength stands to be ahead of two random hands?

The reason I've been wondering about this is that many of the tables I play at (NL50 six max) typically have a few medium/short stacks. So should I be adjusting my stealing hands according to stack size?

Thanks

EDIT: same question for hands we choose to isolate a weak limper with?
Old 08-22-2007, 09:54 AM

Default Re: Are correct blind stealing hands dependent on stack size?

Stack size definitely comes into it, if it's a maniac shortie then no point stealing if it's going to get pushed back at you.

As long as the blind has a reasonable stack, say 40BB+ then I don't think stack size really matters at all, it's more player dependent. Either you are raising because you think you have the best hand, or you are raising to steal the blinds. In the latter case it doesn't really matter what hand you have as you should have identified that the player is likely to fold. If he calls then you get to play the hand as you would any other.