Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-2007, 11:46 PM

Default Miller pre flop re-raising.

It seems risky to me to re-raise pre-flop with all the hands recommended when not in the blinds. AA-TT suited, AKs-AJs, KQs, AK.

If I have TT middle position, and there's an early raiser, I am suppose to re-raise. Doesn't this get expensive when the initial raiser has pocket pair bigger than mine?

I guess if you take all hands into consideration, it is mathematically correct.

If you do this, at what point do you release your hand if villain is extremely aggressive all betting rounds?
Old 08-22-2007, 12:00 AM

Default Re: Miller pre flop re-raising.

[ QUOTE ]
It seems risky to me to re-raise pre-flop with all the hands recommended when not in the blinds. AA-TT suited, AKs-AJs, KQs, AK.

If I have TT middle position, and there's an early raiser, I am suppose to re-raise. Doesn't this get expensive when the initial raiser has pocket pair bigger than mine?

If you do this, at what point do you release your hand if villain is extremely aggressive all betting rounds?

[/ QUOTE ]

This will vary a bit depending on your read of the original raiser. For example, if you think they'd raise with crap, you can use more of those hands to re-raise...if they're pretty tight, you might not e-raise with some of the lower hands.

As for when to let the hand go...that's almost like asking "How do you play poker?". There's no one blanket answer to that question other than "When you think you're beat" and that's a gross oversimplifiation.
Old 08-22-2007, 12:18 AM

We're talking about limit, right?

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Playing poker is risky. If you want to maximize the reward, then you must get money in the pot when you have an edge. That means betting and raising.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. You also win more, on average, when he does not.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Heads-up, against a maniac, I'm going to showdown no matter what. Against a more reasonable player, I'm not letting go unless the board is very scary. Against a passive player, I'll call down unless an A or K hits.
Old 08-22-2007, 01:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Alex, one of the wonderful (and often frustrating) things about poker is that it often "depends". Youll see that word thrown around a fair bit. Authors who write books can possibly hope to cover every scenario or even every preflop scenario.

So your challenge as a pokerplayer is to get the basics down pat and then continue to work on understanding what is important in varying your plays based on your opposition.

in a limit game when you are sitting tehre with 1010 and UTG raises you need to start considering what his raising range will be. Im not going to get into specitic numbers except to stat that your decision will be easiest when faced with an extreme...eg some people only raise AA-KK UTG. An aggressive raiser isnt just raising big pairs here...he is raising big unpaired cards also and possibly alot more depending on how loony he is...some are raising much lightter than you think. If you are lucky enough to be running PAHUD and have stats AND KNOW HOW TO READ THOSE STATS then youll get an idea of their range if you dont have real reads.

You need to also consider what you want to accomplish with your hand. When an aggro raises UTG and Ive got 1010 Im 3 betting because I want it HU And position on this guy. I'd much rather isolate him and his 2 big cards rather than have others trail in behind whcih could mean that any card bigger than a 10 can beat me. Certain hands play better HU or in large multiway pots...1010 is a hand that I want to play against 1-2 villians as a made hand or like 5+ for set value etc.

basically, its hard to answer the other questions you pose because it "depends" on so many things and you cant just cookbook poker and expect to crush the games. Learn the standard lines then get better at adjusting at the right times and youll be on the path to robusto. gogogo