Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-2007, 11:36 AM

Default Re: HEY PZHON....How was this for protecting my 2 pair ?

WCGRider,

No, the right play will win the most money/chips in the long run. In the short-term bad plays might - and often do - win. But this play will lose in the long term.
Old 08-21-2007, 01:28 PM

To clarify, neither I nor anyone else told you to play that way in the previous thread, and I'd prefer that you not put my name in the subject line like that. In the previous hand, you played too passively. In this one, you played too aggressively.

This play was bad, but not quite as bad as everyone is telling you, if you use it very rarely. If you use it frequently, you will lose money much more rapidly than by playing Q4s.

It is normal solid poker to bet in proportion to the pot. You bet 20 times the pot. That your opponent may call with a worse hand confuses the issue, as does the fact that you can river a full house when you get called by a flush, but one way of looking at this is that you are risking $10 to try to win a $0.50 pot. This play (pushing for 20 times the pot on the turn) may work 9/10 of the time, and yet still be wrong, because when it loses, you will lose much more than you usually win. In addition, the fair comparison is not with a baseline of $0, giving up on the turn. The right comparison is with how much you can expect to make by playing the hand in other ways. You should be able to get a lot of value with top two pair by betting smaller amounts that weaker hands will call.
Old 08-21-2007, 03:02 PM

You are all very right. It was a horrible play & allow me to explain why. I was multitabling and at times Full Tilt freezes on me, I swear I meant to hit "pot size" instead of "max". I would have NEVER went all in for such a sh!tty little .50cent pot (I really hope you all can believe that my game is not that bad!)

Like I was saying, sometimes Full Tilt freezes on me & in my attempt of trying to make a pot size bet I guess I made the MAX bet on accident & I didnt realize what happened until it was done due to the fact that I was juggling a couple other tables at the same time. I would have never made that size of a bet if I had just that one window open.

Luckily I didnt loose all my chips right there. I apologize to the board for even posting this horrendous hand. I can admitt that this was complete and total USER ERROR!!!

I should have included this in my original post.

Thanks for everyones replies & input.
Old 08-21-2007, 03:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Luckily I didnt loose all my chips right there. I apologize to the board for even posting this horrendous hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ease up there chopper dog!

Yes it was a bad play, but I'm sure that this thread helped more than one person. Not a total waste by any means.
Old 08-21-2007, 03:29 PM

Yeah, hopefully someone else can learn what NOT to do when they encounter a similar situation.
Old 08-21-2007, 10:18 PM

actually if you figure villian calls with all top pair and better its not a bad shove at all. and vs the right opponents this would be the case.

but as standard this is horrible for obvious reasons