Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-2007, 06:31 AM

Default Live 1/3 - top set on a monotone flop

Live $1/$3 NL
relevant stacks - Hero $300, Villain $185
Hero is BB with A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
preflop action
2 folds, MP1 calls $3, 3 folds, button calls $3, small blind folds, hero raises to $15, MP1 folds, button calls

Flop (pot = $34)
A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Hero checks, button bets $20, hero raises to $75, button raises all in to $170, hero calls (final pot = $374)

I don't have much of a read on the villain (he recently sat down). I've seen him play a drawing hand aggressively. What do you think of my line?
Old 08-21-2007, 08:45 AM

Default Re: Live - top set on a monotone flop

I would play the same, I think it's pretty standard since most of the time villain isnt going to show a flush. This could be AK with king of spades, it could be a lower set, 2pair or many other hands, and still against flushes you have 33% equity
Old 08-21-2007, 09:07 AM

i lead the flop. why risk giving a free card in this spot. you are either getting action or not. worked out fine though, you got it all in on the flop which is exactly what you want to do here.
Old 08-21-2007, 10:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i lead the flop. why risk giving a free card in this spot. you are either getting action or not. worked out fine though, you got it all in on the flop which is exactly what you want to do here.

[/ QUOTE ] My check on the flop had two purposes -
1. I can check raise if he bets his flush draw
2. It keeps the pot small if he checks behind drawing to a flush. If he checks behind on the flop then I would check call the turn and river if no spade comes and the board doesn't pair.

My thinking is that I either want to get it all in on the flop or keep the pot as small as possible. The worst situation I think is to bet the flop, he calls, bet the turn and then he raises all in.

PS If he checks behind and makes his flush on the turn, I still have 13 outs on the river, so if he bets 2/3 the pot, I am probably still getting enough implied odds to call.
Old 08-21-2007, 12:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
PS If he checks behind and makes his flush on the turn, I still have 13 outs on the river, so if he bets 2/3 the pot, I am probably still getting enough implied odds to call.

[/ QUOTE ]

13 outs? Does the deck have 7 aces?
Old 08-21-2007, 12:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1. I can check raise if he bets his flush draw
2. It keeps the pot small if he checks behind drawing to a flush. If he checks behind on the flop then I would check call the turn and river if no spade comes and the board doesn't pair.

[/ QUOTE ]

You have a set of aces 60BB deep in a heads up pot. Don't keep the pot small. I lead this flop ~100%. If he has a made flush, you have 7 outs on the flop, and 10 outs on the turn. Most of the time he won't have a made flush. If he has a single spade he'll almost always call your flop bet, and sometimes he'll raise you. Once you succeed in check-raising, though, calling the all-in is a no brainer.
Old 08-21-2007, 01:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You have a set of aces 60BB deep in a heads up pot. Don't keep the pot small. ... Once you succeed in check-raising, though, calling the all-in is a no brainer.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-21-2007, 02:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]

My thinking is that I either want to get it all in on the flop or keep the pot as small as possible. The worst situation I think is to bet the flop, he calls, bet the turn and then he raises all in.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you bet an amount that makes drawing to a flush wrong on the flop, there is no need to keep the pot small. The only real disaster is if you let a free spade come off on the turn by checking the flop, then face a bet so big that you cannot profitably redraw to a boat.
Betting against a player's range who plays his draws aggressively in this spot certainly seems best.
Old 08-21-2007, 03:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you bet an amount that makes drawing to a flush wrong on the flop, there is no need to keep the pot small. The only real disaster is if you let a free spade come off on the turn by checking the flop, then face a bet so big that you cannot profitably redraw to a boat.
Betting against a player's range who plays his draws aggressively in this spot certainly seems best.

[/ QUOTE ]

Two points come to mind. First, if he makes his flush on the turn, it is unlikely that you will not have the implied odds necessary to chase the boat/quads on the river. Most players won't bet more than the pot with a flush. So only need to get him to call a pot sized bet on the river to make the implied odds right - he surely will with a flush. If he bets less than the pot on the turn (as most players will) then you are certainly getting implied odds to chase.

Second point is that an aggressive player will likely bet his draw if it is checked to him on the flop, giving you the opportunity to checkraise and get more money in on the flop.