Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2007, 07:23 AM

Default Safest Email Provider for Poker Players?

Hey guys,after reading the latest "my poker account was hacked" post in the zoo,i realized that this is maybe one part of security i havent taken to heart.A poster recommended paying for Hushmail for anyone with alot of money online.What are your opinions on the email service that provides the most security against hackers that would target your email account as an access point?Thanks.
Old 08-20-2007, 11:25 AM

Default Re: Safest Email Provider for Poker Players?

There's nothing wrong with Gmail. No provider will be safe if you're using a compromised computer. Also, don't set your email password to 'password', 'god', '123', 'loldonkaments', etc.
Old 08-20-2007, 01:07 PM

Gmail ftw!! For starters the name's a lot shorter than most email providers, plus you get practically unlimited storage - ok it's not "unlimited" but who's going to have more than 2GBs of emails?

Actual lol @ loldonkaments password [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 08-20-2007, 01:23 PM

I got it.Dont use 12345 as my password(yeah i saw spaceballs too),and Gmail is good cause it has a short name.Anyone else have any thoughts???
Old 08-20-2007, 10:43 PM

According to the movie Hackers, the most popular passwords are 'god' or 'sex'
Old 08-21-2007, 03:29 AM

Theres not really a "safer" email provider. For example, no one hacks into hotmails servers and steals your account or password. They hack into your account by guessing or bruteforce guessing your password (or even keylogging or hacking your computer). If you have a strong and complex password and a strong and complex secret question and answer with both being changed regularly, you should be fine with any mainstream email provider.

As far as other extras, i have found that gmail has the best security practices. They lock accounts that are accessed by a different ip within 5 minutes of each other (so if a hacker accesses your account close to the time you did etc). Also, their lockout mechanisms seem to be the best, and their security team for assistance with hacked/stolen/locked accounts is the best i have seen. With most other providers this is almost non existent.
Old 08-21-2007, 08:48 AM

Ty im not,that was more what i was looking for,although i did enjoy the "loldonkaments" as much as the next guy [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-21-2007, 10:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
There's nothing wrong with Gmail. No provider will be safe if you're using a compromised computer. Also, don't set your email password to 'password', 'god', '123', 'loldonkaments', etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

What? I have to change every one of my passwords.
Old 08-21-2007, 01:33 PM

well it seems to me you can tell right away how good the security is by observing one simple thing, whether you have a ssl connection (https://) or not (http://).

for example, both yahoo and hotmail have a ssl login page, BUT when you are reading your email the page is in the clear (http://). This means if you read an email with your password in it it can be intercepted at various points, the most vulnerable being if you are on a LAN.

Hushmail, on the other hand, uses ssl (https://) for both login and for reading email, so basically you are always using a secure connection at all times.

I don't have a gmail account so I can't comment on that.

also hushmail has a free email which is equivalent to the paid mail, but if you don't login for 3 weeks all your mail is deleted and sometime after that I don't know how long they close your account I think.

also hushmail supports easy email encryption, so if you have a lot of money online you could maybe get stars to encrypt their email to you although I don't think they would do that unless you had a lot of money.

The attack I'm describing can best be visualized by thinking of pacific poker, how they would email you your password and you really couldn't change it, well you could, but then they would just email you a different one.

Also I've heard gmail stores every email in perpetuity, so you can never delete them really.
Old 08-21-2007, 02:16 PM

Gmail uses SSL and you can force it by using the customizegoogle firefox add-on.