Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2007, 03:31 PM

Default (NL5) Hero flops idiot end - but is his play retarded?

No reads on villain, this is his third hand.

No-Limit Hold'em, $0.04 BB (10 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

CO ($5.36)
Button ($0.82)
SB ($5.32)
Hero ($5)
UTG ($4.47)
UTG+1 ($1.54)
UTG+2 ($4.44)
MP1 ($2.24)
MP2 ($6.07)
MP3 ($4.92)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls $0.04, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+2 calls $0.04, MP1 calls $0.04, MP2 calls $0.04, MP3 calls $0.04, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: ($0.30) 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(7 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $0.04</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $0.3</font>, UTG calls $0.30, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, SB calls $0.26.

I hate playing ace-rag, since its so hard to win anything with it as its so overplayed at NL5. But now hero has a straight, and I bet to protect my hand.

Turn: ($1.20) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $1.1</font>, UTG calls $1.10, SB folds.

Didn't expect to see so many callers on the flop, and the pot is huge now. Can't expect my hand to be any worse even though the board is paired. If someone has a full they would probably let me know.

River: ($3.40) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets $1.96</font>, Hero ??

I checked the river, since the flush card came. But also because a thinking villain should probably assume that I have a full house, right? I was expecting a cheap show down but will not get it. My straight can't be any good now, can it? With the two pairs on board and the flush all I can beat is an over pair. An over pair wouldn't be out of the question since its UTG and a weak player might use my check as an invitation to bluff, still that board is a scary as it can be for my straight. Should I have played it differently? And there is no way I can call the river, right?
Old 08-20-2007, 03:41 PM

Default Re: (NL5) Hero flops idiot end - but is his play retarded?

Fold the river, otherwise play seems pretty good to me. You wouldn't necessarily find out on the turn if someone had just filled up, and in most cases you're not folding anyway.
Old 08-20-2007, 04:38 PM

Looks fine to me, villain is not going to show up here with anything you beat if you call.
Old 08-21-2007, 01:34 PM

Thank you for your replies. I'm glad you think I played it well. Was a bit unsure about myself, but I guess the play was fine.

I'm a bit embarrassed to say that I called the river. It was more of a morbid curiosity of what villain played with than thinking I was ahead. I know I shouldn't have, but I was very curious. He had 6d7d, so he flopped the nut straight and rivered a straight flush - and that's why he could easily bet into a presumed full house [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Felt a bit foolish though since I was beat at the flop, but thats just results oriented thinking.