Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2007, 09:39 AM

Default Value raising in BB

Playing a 20 game in Brantford on Saturday morning. I did get a full night (well, most of the night) sleep and arrived at the game just before 7:00am. I was surprised to find the table 9-handed (usually it's short at this time)...and, based on people's comments (if you can trust them), it appeared that everyone else was in the middle of an all-nighter session. The game was looser than normal and some of the regulars were not as aggressive as they have been on other occasions. I think that playing at this time is more profitable than normal...I definitely will play at this time again.

Anyway, onto the hand. I get ATo in the BB. 4 limpers (2 of them look very reluctant to call), SB completes, I raise for value. 6-way to the flop with a pot of $240.

Flop is Ax Qh 4h (I don't have any hearts). I bet, 2 folds, MP raises (good player, not that tricky), 3 folds, I re-raise, he calls.

Turn is 7h. I check/fold.

Comments?
Old 08-20-2007, 09:57 AM

Default Re: Value raising in BB

this 'value' raise is awful 6-way with ATo oop

as played, you built too big of a pot to c/fold turn

when you 3-bet flop you've gotta come out betting on the turn as well, c/folding is suicide
Old 08-20-2007, 10:31 AM

I like the flop 3-bet.

Dont like the turn fold. I guess you made him for the flush. Does this player have a history of playing flopped fl draw like this. I would prefer a bet/fold on turn. Esp. since we showed so much aggro on flop.
Old 08-20-2007, 10:53 AM

AQ is the weakest offsuit hand I'm raising for value here and I don't even hate a check. Playing hand like AT+/KQ out of position with initiative can be a pain in the ass because it's difficult to get in multiple bets with top pair and rarely get free cards when you miss horribly.
Old 08-20-2007, 12:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Playing a 20 game in Brantford on Saturday morning. I did get a full night (well, most of the night) sleep and arrived at the game just before 7:00am. I was surprised to find the table 9-handed (usually it's short at this time)...and, based on people's comments (if you can trust them), it appeared that everyone else was in the middle of an all-nighter session. The game was looser than normal and some of the regulars were not as aggressive as they have been on other occasions. I think that playing at this time is more profitable than normal...I definitely will play at this time again.

Anyway, onto the hand. I get ATo in the BB. 4 limpers (2 of them look very reluctant to call), SB completes, I raise for value. 6-way to the flop with a pot of $240.

Flop is Ax Qh 4h (I don't have any hearts). I bet, 2 folds, MP raises (good player, not that tricky), 3 folds, I re-raise, he calls.

Turn is 7h. I check/fold.

Comments?

[/ QUOTE ]

This preflop raise is very bad with this weak hand. This is a top pair type hand with very little drawing power against a big field. Making the pot this big makes your chances very slim. All draws and small pairs will be committed to stay to the end in this big pot. Even AJ and AQ would be bad raises in this spot, and AK offsuit is marginal.
Old 08-20-2007, 01:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Making the pot this big makes your chances very slim. All draws and small pairs will be committed to stay to the end in this big pot. Even AJ and AQ would be bad raises in this spot, and AK offsuit is marginal.

[/ QUOTE ]

Small pairs should only be peeling in multi-way capped pots for a single bet on a favorable board.

AK is an easy raise. Building the pot makes it correct for you to chase as well and you have a pretty beefy equity edge to push by making more speculative hands pay extra bets to even see a flop.
Old 08-21-2007, 09:50 AM

Check pf. Bet flop or c/r flop. As played, don't fold the turn.