Mexico 4 2.84%
Canada 7 4.96%
Australia 16 11.35%
Other/Results 21 14.89%
Voters: 141. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-20-2007, 02:10 PM

Default Re: The importance of the seperation of powers

[ QUOTE ]
I linked a study some time back done by the World Bank about degree of corruption vs type of government. Parliamentary governments, with far less in the way of separation of powers, and specifically the Westminster system, came out ahead of any other system.

I think part of the reason is that almost all countries with the Westminster system derived great benefit from the example of British rule. The British just know how to run things, and most countries they've touched have become civilized and extremely stable.

I think the presidential system is flawed. It invests too much power in an individual while giving them too little accountability. When the lawmakers and the executive form the same unit, one set of hands guides the entire policy of the nation, and the buck stops entirely with them. Such a system seems to encourage self restraint rather than excesses.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is a really interesting point about accountability and I would love to see that study. As I have been researching this topic on the internet the most common objection I have seen made to separation of powers is that it gridlocks our political system.

I can see how lack of accountability might be a potential problem also. For instance I know that Hillary Clinton was initially criticized for voting in favor of the war in Iraq and then not taking responsibility. On the democratic debates last night I noticed that her and candidate Edwards both said they regretted their votes for the war. Its interesting to note however, how much more political damage Bush receives from the war. Congress seems largely unscathed by the mistake.

The fact that the British are good at running things is seems like a a potential confound in the study since it is possible that their good example would also have caused other systems to work well.
Old 08-20-2007, 03:17 PM

Discussion:
http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.c...ract_id=632777
Paper:
http://econ.worldbank.org/external/defau..._01120404004589
Old 08-20-2007, 10:55 PM

The best thing about a presidential system over a parlimentary system is that in a presidential system, people can elect a legislature from a different party than the president. This creats "gridlock", so that nothing gets done (which is good). In a parlimentary system, this isn't possible.
Old 08-21-2007, 04:07 AM

Separation of Powers =/= Theory of Fiscal Federalism