Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-2007, 02:28 AM

Default Re: NFL teams blitzing in preseason?

Please NFL get rid of 2 preseason games and have an 18 game regular season. Also while your at it, 7 teams per conference make the playoffs. Imagine the wild card round, 1 team gets a bye, then there would be a tripleheader on Saturday and Sunday of NFL playoff action. 9 hours of football 2 straight days, I'm hard just thinking about it.
Old 08-21-2007, 02:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
legend:

what if you only want games in your division? what if you want to forgo the games against the bad teams in the league?

[/ QUOTE ]

At least you could probably scalp those tickets for face value. Try doing that with the preseason tix.

I get your (and Josh's) point, and understand it's a package deal that's a buyer's decision (and most have decided the package is worth it), I just think it kind of sucks.
Old 08-21-2007, 04:55 AM

All,

I don't get this complaint at all.

You pay a premium to buy the same guaranteed seats for all games plus the right to buy playoff tix as well plus the right to renew this every year.

Would you be happier if there was a season ticket premium fee and the exhibition games were thrown in for free?

This complaint is really just "I think season tickets cost too much." OK, fine, don't buy them if you think that!
Old 08-21-2007, 05:08 AM

I think the issue isn't that season ticket holders are "forced" to buy preseason tickets, but that there is no reason for there to be 4 preseason games at all. The solution is not to make preseason games "optional" in season ticket packages, but to drop 2 preseason games from the schedule entirely. Those "extra" games should be what everyone should be riled up about, and that the consumer has to pay for them, not the fact that they're included in the season ticket package.
Old 08-21-2007, 06:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
All,

You pay a premium to buy the same guaranteed seats for all games plus the right to buy playoff tix as well plus the right to renew this every year.

Would you be happier if there was a season ticket premium fee and the exhibition games were thrown in for free?

This complaint is really just "I think season tickets cost too much." OK, fine, don't buy them if you think that!

[/ QUOTE ]

El D,

As an example, my season tickets are $540 per seat per year. This means that every ticket (preseason and regular) says $54 on it. Wouldn't it make sense from a PR standpoint if nothing else to have the preseason tix be less, even if it meant compensating with higher reg. season prices (for the same total). The status quo creates a huge amount of ill will with the best customers.

The reality is that I have 8 tickets that are worth $67.50 and 2 that are worthless.
Suppose 2 of my buddies bail at the last minute and I'm trying to unload my tickets (to a regular season game) outside the stadium. Suppose I'm in a state where its illegal to scalp tickets for more than face value. I'm legally forced to eat the $13.50 per ticket now?
Old 08-21-2007, 10:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
All,

[/ QUOTE ]

El D,

As an example, my season tickets are $540 per seat per year. This means that every ticket (preseason and regular) says $54 on it. Wouldn't it make sense from a PR standpoint if nothing else to have the preseason tix be less, even if it meant compensating with higher reg. season prices (for the same total). The status quo creates a huge amount of ill will with the best customers.

The reality is that I have 8 tickets that are worth $67.50 and 2 that are worthless.
Suppose 2 of my buddies bail at the last minute and I'm trying to unload my tickets (to a regular season game) outside the stadium. Suppose I'm in a state where its illegal to scalp tickets for more than face value. I'm legally forced to eat the $13.50 per ticket now?

[/ QUOTE ]

1. Tickets are "worth" the value you derive from them either through use or sale.
At $540 for a seat/season you decided you will get better value out of the seat(s) than you would get out of spending that money in another way.

You might have even paid more than that. If the tickets were $600 would have you still bought them? If so, you are getting value and you win the economic value game, stop complaining.

2. If the tickets truly are "worthless" again this is only a value judgement by you not by anyone else, there are 2 things you can do. A) Offer up on Ebay/StubHub/street corner/work email to recoup as much cash as you can for "worthless" tickets in which case you 'win', because again you are getting value for something you deem worth zero. B) Donate the tickets to charity and take the writeoff. Underprivileged kids get to go to a game and again you get value for something that again you consider worth nothing.

Oh yeah, there is always option C too.... do nothing and keep complaining.
Old 08-24-2007, 12:34 AM

Meh quit complaining, at least you have season tickets. I'm a Redskins fan and won't even be able to buy season tickets IN MY LIFETIME(unless I buy a box, they have plenty of those). Last year I went to 2 games and got the cheapest available tickets off of Stubhub. They were $120 for $44.50ish seats.
Old 08-25-2007, 04:50 AM

Anyone who thinks it's wrong to complain about being forced to buy tickets to the two preseason games obviously doesn't actually hold season tickets. It's a crock of [censored] and every season holder I know resents it.
Old 08-25-2007, 07:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The team offers a package of something like "8 home games, plus two exhibition games, plus priority for playoffs for $xxxxxx/seat". If you want to pay it, you do. If you don't want to, you don't.

[/ QUOTE ]

And what if I want the package with the just the regular season games? Where do I get that?

[/ QUOTE ]

Same place where you get the package that only includes games against division rivals or top-ranked opponents. If you don't like the package, don't buy it. It's a package. You can't buy a happy meal and deduct the price of the toy.
Old 08-25-2007, 08:06 AM

You'd rather them raise the price for the 8 home games and not include preseason?