Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-2007, 04:03 PM

Default Re: How Does Helmuth not get punch in the mouth?

oh my god, he called me a moron? wow! i'm gonna beat him up!!! oh what's this? i'm being charged with assault? oh.. it was on film? wow. i'm being sued? oh well, at least i'm a MAN baby!!
Old 08-20-2007, 05:05 AM

Well if it puts you, a person who watches poker on T.V. for entertainment on Tilt, then what do you think it does to the actual players?
Old 08-20-2007, 12:00 PM

Who would be suicidal enough to mess with this?

Old 08-20-2007, 08:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Well, here in the civilized world, we try to settle minor disputes with words. We aren't ALL drunken idiots at bars throwing stools around.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, in most cases, I agree, and Hellmuth, while annoying, never seems to approach anything remotely resembling what would be called "fightin' words".

On the other hand, certain talk, like wrongly impugning someone's character or suggesting he was a cheat (like Prahlad with Lisandro last year) does cross that line, and often the person doing the talking needs to be politely informed that if the talk keeps up, things will be settled in a "less civilized" manner. As Lisandro did with Prahlad.

[/ QUOTE ]

Helmuth spews "fighting words" all the time. Callimg people morons, idiots, and the like, WILL get your ass beat in real life.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL are you still in HS? In real life, mature adults don't risk their health or their freedom by starting fights with people over being called an idiot.
Old 08-20-2007, 11:39 PM

Years ago Sam Grizzle supposedly decked him, Sam's pushing 5'8" if he's lucky.

I thought Phil H was more like 6'4" and Phil Gordon was 6'8".

Phil's obviously over-acting, I'll laugh if he ever does it at a table
I am near and embarrass him by asking him what his wife does for a living: psych doc..
Old 08-21-2007, 09:31 AM

Did Grizzle deck him or just punch him? Stories like that tend to change over time. If those heights are correct then that is quite a stretch to get a good one in unless Grizzle is a good fighter.
Old 08-21-2007, 07:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
he probably has been beat down alot before just not talked about on tv. Also, he's not just doing it for tv he was definitely doing it before poker blew up, there are old clips from early 90s of him berating players and other old time veterans say he's always been that way.

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
found a youtube video of his elimination from the 99 ME...makes me believe its not an act "you called 2 thousand with queen jack!"...for over a minute on a 2 minute video

[/ QUOTE ]
I think these guys are right. Most people's assumptions about this being a schtick seem to be wrong, as according to Phil himself he can't help it, was in fact trying to change, and it wasn't until 2002 that the TV producers actually encouraged him to do his schtick. He was apparently doing it for years without any cameras around and before poker got big on TV, and if he's to be believed, it isn't even to put his opponents on tilt - he has just some sort of uncontrollable urge to rant/whine when something bad happens to him.
Old 08-21-2007, 11:02 PM

Wow, I can't believe some of the responses here. My weekly game discussed this last night and we all agreed that we would all deck him if he talked like that to us. He crosses the line so many times it's [censored] ridiculous. He might be the biggest piece of [censored] on earth that hasn't physically harmed anyone. I can't believe anyone actually likes him or thinks the way he acts "isn't that bad". Somebody needs to knock him the [censored] out.