Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2007, 03:46 PM

Default SnG levels: what to expect at higher levels?

I'm only experienced at the $10 and $20 SnG levels. I had a little bit of trouble adjusting from $10 to $20, but I did make the adjustments and I found I can win at the $20.

What should I expect at the higher levels between $30 and $100. Also, between $30 and $100 is there a level where the difficulty is noticably different such as say $40 or $50? Are there still donks there who are rich/bored people who want to gamble? Or are games at this level full of sharks and pros? At what level do the donks really thin out and its just sharks vs sharks?

Thanks for sharing your experiences [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-20-2007, 07:39 PM

Default Re: SnG levels: what to expect at higher levels?

I am at about at the same stage as you. I've been playing $5-$10 SNGs mixed with cash for a few years. Recently, I've permanently added $20 tables to my sessions (I typically multi-table 4 with 2x$20 and 2x$10).

At first, I found it tough to adjust to the $20 level. Interestingly, I didn't find much difference between $5 and $10 ... but the $20 definitely has a different feel.

I observed the following:
- More players with VP$IP of 10-25% with PFR% of 5-20%. The lower stakes players were looser and a little more passive.
- More trapping and tricky play. I find the $20 players like the check-raise more than the lower stakes players.
- More of the games get into the higher blind levels with 5+ players left. I suspect this is due to the tightness.
- I meet players I know far more often. I imagine this is due to the decreased overall number of players in the pool.

Did you find this too?

My bankroll is finally at the point where I can play $30 tables. I'm thinking of switching my session to 1x$30, 2x$20, and 1x$10.

I'm also interested in what people think of the stakes $30 and higher.

Do the points I list above for the $10 versus $20 continue to get exaggerated as you move up further in stakes?

Any other interesting trends as you move up?

/J
Old 08-20-2007, 08:00 PM

PokerRPG7:

I have completely moved away from $10 and am now at $20 exclusively. I think that playing both $10 and $20 might get my thinking mixed up regarding my opponents, as strategies at one level won't work at the other.

Do you find that you are able to avoid that even while mixing up games between $10 and $30?

Also, what does VP$IP stand for?
Old 08-20-2007, 10:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
PokerRPG7:

I have completely moved away from $10 and am now at $20 exclusively. I think that playing both $10 and $20 might get my thinking mixed up regarding my opponents, as strategies at one level won't work at the other.

Do you find that you are able to avoid that even while mixing up games between $10 and $30?

Also, what does VP$IP stand for?

[/ QUOTE ]

Voluntarily put $ in pot.