Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2007, 05:25 PM

Default Re: Vick Pleads Guilty

This seems to be symbolic on different levels:

[ QUOTE ]
About a dozen bright red Vick jerseys have been donated -- often accompanied by financial contributions -- to the Atlanta Humane Society since he was indicted last month. The shelter uses them for dog blankets, and to clean up after the animals.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-20-2007, 05:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
btw, i hope vick enjoys being on the receiving end instead of the other way around...

[/ QUOTE ]

Just a guess but I think he'll be just fine in that area.

He could easily buddy up with someone who's well respected and then wouldn't be touched.
Old 08-20-2007, 05:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, what I heard on the radio was that the plea will be for "moving dogs across state lines for gambling purposes" and not related to any animal cruelty charges. If that is so, the lifetime ban seems even worse.

[/ QUOTE ]

Vick is going to make an admission of guilt and "come clean" as part of the agreement so I think that problem is avoided.
Old 08-20-2007, 05:35 PM

Location: always C/Ring with 3 outs and usually getting there

It's pretty crazy how irrational this dogfighting stuff turns people.

For those in favor of a lifetime ban from the NFL: After Michael Vick serves his time in prison for dogfighting, should he be banned from employment in all areas of society? If you were to substitute "PetsMart" or "the SPCA" in for "the NFL", I could maybe understand. But what does a conviction for dogfighting have to do with playing football?

I find the Vick hate to be just as nauseating as what Vick allegedly did.
Old 08-20-2007, 05:36 PM

It's been said in this thread before, but some seem to be missing it.

Vick is not going to get like 15 months and serve 9 or something. This is a federal case, he is REQUIRED 100% to serve at least 85% of his sentence.

Also, this judge is known for being a complete hardass. I think Vick is going away for 18 months, and should feel lucky to get that. If he didn't plea today, and faced the new racketeering charges and virginia charges..he could have been in jail for 10 years.
Old 08-20-2007, 05:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's pretty crazy how irrational this dogfighting stuff turns people.

For those in favor of a lifetime ban from the NFL: After Michael Vick serves his time in prison for dogfighting, should he be banned from employment in all areas of society? If you were to substitute "PetsMart" or "the SPCA" in for "the NFL", I could maybe understand. But what does a conviction for dogfighting have to do with playing football?

I find the Vick hate to be just as nauseating as what Vick allegedly did.

[/ QUOTE ]

How the NFL punishes him depends on their calculation of how they think the fans will react. If the NFL went around irrationally banning players for life who didn't deserve it, they would eventually suffer the consequences, so this doesnt bother me that much.
Old 08-20-2007, 05:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
He'll bring nothing but negative publicity to the team, harm their reputation and ultimately be nothing like he used to be on the field.

[/ QUOTE ]

a) guys have done worse than him and come back
b) he was never really great anyways, but he'll still be able to do the flashy stuff that gets ooohs and ahhs I think

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not challanging you in a I don't believe you sort of way but I'm just curious who's done worse and came back?

Old 08-20-2007, 05:43 PM

boc4life:

I don't understand it either. I suppose because his job is in the public eye that he should be held up to a higher standard than most - but basically this attitude seems to be that anyone who does anything vicious/criminal should never be allowed back into society. I wonder why recidivism rates are so high.

btw if he does get 2 years I don't see him coming back, but if he manages to be in a training camp next year (somehow) he could certainly play somewhere.
Old 08-20-2007, 05:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Because right after looking up dog fighting pictures I looked at crime scene photos for people getting stabbed to death, drive by shot, and killed by repeat offender drunk drivers. However, none of them received a lifetime ban.

[/ QUOTE ]

lifetime ban only happens if the gambling is included in the plea deal.

[/ QUOTE ]

Let's say the league doesn't give him a lifetime ban. Can you see any team actually signing him?

I don't care if he's some freak combination of Joe Montana and LaDainian Tomlinson, who's gonna root for the guy?

Plus then you'll have PETA at all your homegames throwing blood on the fans, it'll be a nightmare.

Actually, I'm beginning to hope that they won't ban him, just so he can try to come back and get owned in every possible way.
Old 08-20-2007, 05:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I guess I just disagree - I know the guy is hated but if he's not lifetime banned he will be back in an NFL uniform somewhere, probably Oakland.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yah, Oakland sounds about right. I'd like to see a lifetime ban but wouldn't be opposed to him playing anywhere which ups the odds he'll visit the 'pound in Cleveland some day.