Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Student Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2007, 10:21 PM

Default Re: Anyone in an MBA program at Harvard, Stanford or Penn?

I mean, that's fine that you're going for it and all... whoo hoo don't give up on your dreams you go girl!

But seriously, you should have a plan for when you get rejected so you don't just sit around all day being like wtf do I do now.
Old 08-16-2007, 10:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I mean, that's fine that you're going for it and all... whoo hoo don't give up on your dreams you go girl!

But seriously, you should have a plan for when you get rejected so you don't just sit around all day being like wtf do I do now.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol hes already acknowledged that his chances of being accepted are 10 percent or less. im pretty sure he has a back-up plan.
Old 08-16-2007, 10:42 PM

^^ Exactly. I'm going to apply for jobs just like everyone else. Probably not going to get in, get a job, work for 3 years, re-apply to the same three in addition to Berkeley, UCLA, Columbia and maybe a few others.

I would love to go to Haas too, but I want to get out of the area for a couple of years, so I'm not applying there right out of college.

redsox, I PM'd you.
Old 08-20-2007, 02:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I always, always, always tell my students at Cal to take at least one year off between undergrad and whatever grad school they're interested in. The burnout rate of kids who go straight through undergrad to grad is ridiculous. Law, Med School, PhD...it doesn't matter. My experience has been that the "straight-throughers" are always jaded and exhausted one year into grad school.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is really good advice. I went straight into grad school AND started working full time right out of undergrad. As it stands now, I have 4 classes left and I don't know how long it will take me to get the motivation to do it, i'm just so sick of school.
Old 08-20-2007, 03:28 PM

Why are you applying to jobs if you have built 2 businesses? Are they still running? Did you sell them? I know some schools will accept you, but then defer your start for 1-2 years. So that might be what happens.
Old 08-21-2007, 02:47 PM

sry 4 offtopic but just out of curiosity - i don't quite get the school/university system in the usa.
So you go to school and highschool for like 12 or 13 years (you're 17/18/19 when you finish highschool in general??) and then you go to college for a specific subject, in which you want to work later, and a college degree is the academic diploma for a well-payed job? is college = university the same?
i went to school 12 years and went from usual school to university and i would have had the possibility to study @ harvard qualificationwise (if i had teh moniez), so after reading this post i'm wondering what college is and why you guys in america can't go to university (i assume, that is harvard) directly after finishing school.

can anybody explain the us-school system for an uninformed euro like me?? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-21-2007, 03:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
sry 4 offtopic but just out of curiosity - i don't quite get the school/university system in the usa.
So you go to school and highschool for like 12 or 13 years (you're 17/18/19 when you finish highschool in general??) and then you go to college for a specific subject, in which you want to work later, and a college degree is the academic diploma for a well-payed job? is college = university the same?
i went to school 12 years and went from usual school to university and i would have had the possibility to study @ harvard qualificationwise (if i had teh moniez), so after reading this post i'm wondering what college is and why you guys in america can't go to university (i assume, that is harvard) directly after finishing school.

can anybody explain the us-school system for an uninformed euro like me?? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

College is undergraduate education. It's a 4 year program that you focus on a major or major(s) and also get a general education in a bunch of general subjects. Then you have post-graduate types of education such as Business School, Med School, Law School, and Graduate Programs as well as other schools which normally require you to finish your first 4 years and then apply for further education.

In my major they wouldn't let you do post-graduate work (doctorate) in the same major at the same school. Not sure if it's the same case everywhere for any subject. Post-grad programs vary in length. At my school (Cornell) they had M-Eng which was a 1 year engineering post-graduate program, a PhD which usually takes 5 years, grad school which can take 2 years+, Law School which I believe is 3 years, Business school which is 2, and other schools, etc. etc.

Back to the OPs point, most Business schools are tough to get into right after college b/c most business schools require some form of work in the workforce before returning to school. Most other post-graduate programs do not have this type of "requirement." Other requirements include tests such as GMAT, LSAT, GRE. For foreign students it includes TOEFL.

I hope to return to school to get an MBA. I'm hoping to do it after working for 5 or 6 years (I'm 25 now and have worked in Research for 3 years). I wouldn't mind going to any of the stated programs of the OP, but with my undergrad GPA, I doubt I'll get in (3.1 from Cornell Engineering). I honestly hope to goto UNC grad school. Don't know if anyone knows anything about it or if it's a waste of time. I want something a little less competitive than my previous work.
Old 08-21-2007, 03:23 PM

OMGJuliet,

after highschool, you go to undergraduate college. you can call it university too. they are the same thing (unlike in, say, canada, where the term "college" denotes something like a junior college in the USA, and the term "university" applies to your typical 4 year undergrad program).

after college/university, you can continue your education in one of several types of graduate schools. OP is, for example, considering business school. I, for example, am now in law school.

you can go to harvard undergrad directly from HS, and you can generally go to grad schools (of which Harvard has plenty) right after undergrad, though from the tone of this thread, it's hard to go directly into a MBA program.

edit: beaten to the punch
Old 08-23-2007, 03:21 PM

why do you even want to get your MBA right after ugrad. i'd worry about that first before i'd worry about getting in. it makes sense to do this maybe 1% of the time and the class demographics at these schools reflect that.
Old 09-17-2007, 03:02 AM

im an undergrad @ penn doing business. its pretty solid. you should check it out.

also, you need to go work for 2-4 yrs first.