Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2007, 01:41 AM

Default was this played correct?

how should i have played this pre-flop. after flop and turn. i feel that i could have got paid more. how could i have done that?

Poker Stars
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.01/$0.02
5 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (5 players) Hero is SB with :5h :5d
[color=#cc0000]UTG raises to $0.08</font>, CO calls, Button folds, [color=#cc0000]Hero raises to $0.22</font>, BB folds, UTG calls, CO calls.

Flop: :ks :tc :5s ($0.68, 3 players)
Hero checks, UTG checks, CO checks.

Turn: :kd ($0.68, 3 players)
[color=#cc0000]Hero bets $0.18</font>, UTG folds, CO calls.

River: :5c ($1.04, 2 players)
[color=#cc0000]Hero is all-in $0.81</font>, CO folds.
Uncalled bets: $0.81 returned to Hero.

Results:
Final pot: $1.04
Old 08-20-2007, 01:53 AM

Default Re: was this played correct?

Personally i'd have folded it preflop. A raise from early position should indicate a strong hand and I dont think 55 is playable.

On the flop I'd have lead out with a bet somewhere between 1/2 pot and pot size. When the K comes on the turn I'd probably either make a bet and hope for a reraise, or check and hope to reraise. Im hoping someone out there just made trips and thinks they are way ahead. Hard to judge what CO has because hes just calling all the way through, but I'd have pushed all in at the end as well.

I've only been playing a couple of months though so my plays might be completely wrong.
Old 08-20-2007, 03:52 AM

I am normally folding this preflop.

As played, on the flop I like to bet about 1/2-3/4 of the pot here to eliminate the spade draws. Although at these limits I'm guessing that much of a bet most of the time wont get them to fold here.

On the turn,I am leading out for half the pot, hoping to induce a reraise from one of the opponents, or to induce a "slowplay call" because they think they are ahead here.

After the flop checks, and the turn call, I think is reasonable to put villian on a weak K for example K9, so I like the river push as those hands are calling now thinking its a split.
Old 08-20-2007, 04:03 AM

Reload pre-flop if your properly rolled. You can only set min with a full stack, so you have too fold here with your stack.. You cant be 3-betting pre-flop with a SS even with a full stack i wouldnt 3 bet pre as your hand is quite poor and If UTG shoves you have to fold. Not only that, but you have always basically turned around to the table and said "i have aces" so your are going to find it hard to get paid off.

As played. Lead the flop for $0.50 then shove the turn.
Old 08-20-2007, 04:05 AM

Unfortunately it wasn't played correctly until the river. Fold preflop, bet the flop, bet much larger on turn. These are a lot of common mistakes, and ones I made frequently when I first got started, you see a pocket pair and want to get the pot bigger, then you hit the monster flop and don't want to run weaker hands out. Just understand (preflop aside) that the players at the micro-stakes won't be pushed off too many hands, which is great for you when you flop monsters, don't hesitate to lead out with big hands.
Old 08-20-2007, 04:23 AM

I don't play much NL, so bear that in mind.

I don't think you can expect good commentary without providing information about stack sizes. Also a read on the raiser would help.

Is the preflop raise supposed to be a squeeze play? If so you should probably raise more. Not sure if a squeeze play is the best play with 55. Calling seems fine with big stacks. If you were short-stacked, pushing also would be fine.

I don't understand the check on the flop. It looks suspicious after your preflop 3-bet. UTG could well have a K in his hand and there are straight and flush possibilities. Against 2 opponents, I'd just make a good-sized bet here and hope to get called or raised.