Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-2007, 04:21 PM

Default AK UI take to SD vs. LAG

So here is a hand that I think I played somewhat well. Villain is somewhat LAGish:
23.3/13.3/3.25 after 60 hands

Full Tilt 0.50/1 Hold'em (9 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, CO calls, Button calls, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop: (10 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls, Button folds, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, CO folds, SB calls.

At first I was pleased to see this flop because I figured it did not hit any of my opponents. I figured a standard c-bet was in order due to my table image (very tight, W$@SD: 100).

When it was check/raised by villain, I figured a 3-bet would fold the LP player and buy me more outs.

Turn: (9 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks.

Take a free card here? I think this is standard due to his check/raise % (7.5%).

River: (9 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Here is where my play gets a little dicey, but I still think I made the right call. Villain bet out immediately after the river. Since the pot was somewhat large and I figured he might be bluffing due to my turn check-through, I called.

Final Pot: 11 BB

So any suggestions or difference of opinion? Thanks.
Nick
Old 08-19-2007, 04:48 PM

Default Re: AK UI take to SD vs. LAG

[ QUOTE ]
Since the pot was somewhat large and I figured he might be bluffing due to my turn check-through, I called.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you think he was bluffing on the flop as well when he check raises you ? Your statement would have to mean that as well.

Anyway, back to the early steps of this hand, im not sure if i c-bet this 5 way in the first place. As played, i just call the check raise. 3 betting with A high isn't usually the best idea.

Fold the river, you beat... a bluff.
Old 08-19-2007, 05:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you think he was bluffing on the flop as well when he check raises you ? Your statement would have to mean that as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I do.

[ QUOTE ]
Fold the river, you beat... a bluff.

[/ QUOTE ]

And the way villain was playing, there was at least a 10% chance he was bluffing in this spot, making the call profitable.
Old 08-19-2007, 05:49 PM

The stats look more TAG than LAG to me. I agree that it's an unusual high AF and I guess u made some observations of wild bluffs?

If ur read is correct and u have a tight image I must say I like the way u played this hand. Very brave.
Old 08-19-2007, 07:49 PM

villain's stats are in no way Laggish ... especially after 60hands - they look pretty good to me (and will probably come down to 20/14/3.0 ... which is a very solid and tough player, IMO)

after he check raises you I don't think he's 'bluffing' as you think ... he's pushing his hand on you (which could be a solid ace high hand, any pocket, a board pair, a set, or a small straight draw)

IMO, you would have to give more info on CO to 3bet this (he has alreay put in 1bet, and at this level it's not standard to see someone fold when it comes back to them) ... if you are pretty sure that CO can fold, then i could like the 3bet

but ... I think you should probably bet/fold turn and check behind river UI
Old 08-19-2007, 07:53 PM

You know, bless you if you got this right: but if you did please don't do it again. It is so difficult to think you can have a good enough read on an opponent to pull this off often enough to cover the times you are wrong.

3 betting an opponents flop check/raise with UI overs is NOT a recipe for success at micro limits.

Neither is calling down w UI overs.

I'm guessing your new note on him is that he check raises his small sets on the flop. And his new note on you is that you spew with UI overs.
Old 08-19-2007, 08:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So here is a hand that I think I played somewhat well. Villain is somewhat LAGish:
23.3/13.3/3.25 after 60 hands

[/ QUOTE ]

You're reading too much into those stats. Unless you have seen him show down a few bluffs in 60 hands, you're trying too hard.

[ QUOTE ]
At first I was pleased to see this flop because I figured it did not hit any of my opponents. I figured a standard c-bet was in order due to my table image (very tight, W$@SD: 100).

[/ QUOTE ]

A standard c-bet is in order regardless of your image because the board is so low. So it's a c-bet for value. Your image doesn't give enough weight when there are 4 villains in the pot. Again, you're trying too hard.

[ QUOTE ]
When it was check/raised by villain, I figured a 3-bet would fold the LP player and buy me more outs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tell me how buying outs work here. Do you think LP villain is holding K3 or A3? That's the only way you buy outs, and I don't think it's super likely.

[ QUOTE ]
Take a free card here? I think this is standard due to his check/raise % (7.5%).

[/ QUOTE ]

Now you're really trying too hard. You got check-raised on the flop, and you thought it was a bluff, so you 3-bet him. Now you're afraid he's going to check-raise bluff you again? So you take a free card with the best hand?

[ QUOTE ]
Here is where my play gets a little dicey, but I still think I made the right call. Villain bet out immediately after the river. Since the pot was somewhat large and I figured he might be bluffing due to my turn check-through, I called.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you think you have a timing tell when he bets the river? You shouldn't use "he bet quickly" in a vacuum to mean anything. All tells are a matter of patterns and deviations from them.

It doesn't really matter if you won this hand. You played it very poorly based on the information you gave.
Old 08-19-2007, 08:48 PM

The board is pretty dry, why do you think SB is bluff check/raising this flop multiway? Flop 3 bet is no good with a guy behind you, I don't think you'll clear up outs much if he folds, turn check is good since you're drawing, now fold the river.
Old 08-20-2007, 12:39 AM

Thank you for the input. I am grateful for it.

I will give you the results now, and NOT as a way to prove anything. The question is after..

Villain shows AJo for ace-high.
Hero wins pot.

So, my question then is: How do I adjust my play to this guy? Or do I just continue to play ABC Poker (even though I'm NOT playing ABC poker cause I suck [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]) against him? Should I treat him special (besides making a note about this play) or should I just ignore this play and move on?

The reason I ask is because now he probably thinks I'm a calling station when I have over cards (which I guess I sorta was in this situation). He also may bluff less given that note, but bet his made hands for value against me knowing I'll call. What do you guys think?
Old 08-20-2007, 01:01 AM

*grunch from the cheap seats.

I don't like the play myself. SB cc's likely with pocket pair based on his template. Getting rid of dead money in the pot with 6 drawing cards really isn't something I would want to do. You pretty well eliminate any chance he has of making a mistake.

I certainly see no reason for the river call.