Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-2007, 02:45 PM

Default Re: The Mike Vick case... am I a life nit?

[ QUOTE ]
We have no idea why Parrish pushed her down the stairs (I have not even heard of this incident. If someone can find a link I'd appreciate it.) However I will say that often in spouse on spouse abuse, the emotional hurt goes both ways. The violence, and please don't misunderstand me as I'm not saying its justified, IS NOT AS DEPRAVED AS some a**hole seeing animals hurt to get his kicks. This is morally worse IMO and those who condone such behavior fall far lower on the chain than those who have let their emotions get the best of them in soured relationships

[/ QUOTE ]

Parish was in the news all the time for domestic violence in general, which led to his divorce. The stairs incident was alleged, although he never confessed to it nor was it ever proven.

Whatever- the man physically hurt women, along with countless other athletes. However, he is not remembered for that, just as Warren Moon isn't. That is the point here.
Old 08-19-2007, 02:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

The point about men being allowed to beat up women in other cultures is totally irrelevant. This interest in this case is excluded to mainstream America. I don't think many people in Iran know who Michael Vick is.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with you about the novelty of the charges being a big issue in this case, but I think you missed my point here. Not that woman-beating is ok in other parts of the world now, but that it has a long history in our own society, and in the societies of many recent immigrants to America.

In other words, even though we tell people domestic violence is wrong, there are a lot of people who have been a part of it (and in a sense 'learned' it from their own parents or cultures). Much the same way racism is universally denounced in the media, but many people experience it or are taught it in their own lives.

It's kind of a tangential point anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK I get your point now. Good point and I agree with the parallel about racism.
Old 08-19-2007, 02:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I think it's worse to rape one woman than to torture and kill all the dogs on earth.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's this kind of attitude that many people possess, not just with dogs but with all animals and nature in general, which is totally ridiculous and could indeed explain why our planet could be fk'd in the coming century or two.

The idea that one human life is more valuable then every dog or bird or bear etc... Is one human life also more valuable then every dolphin? then every whale or fish? is it more valuable then every tree?

I'm not even going to bring up things like seeing eye dogs and police dogs, fire dogs, rescue dogs etc... I'll just leave it at your commit is dumb.
Old 08-19-2007, 02:59 PM

What's worse? Tyson "raping" that girl (when she went up to his hotel room at 3am), or Vick hanging dogs and drowning them?
Old 08-19-2007, 03:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I knew there was something about this that was bothering me and I just figured it out. I'll preface this by saying I hate the [censored] because I absolutely love dogs, but from a legal perspective, I'm not sure this makes sense to me.

[/ QUOTE ]
You're Right

In response to OP's question....the law is written in a way that distinguishes between animals. One of the laws Vick has been charged with makes it illegal to "sell, buy,
transport, deliver, or receive for purposes of transportation, in interstate or foreign commerce, any dog or other animal for purposes of having the dog or other animal participate in an animal fighting venture." "Animal" is a defined term, so the "other animal" portion of the law covers only warmblooded animals, minus a bunch of exceptions like rats, mice, birds, and farm animals.

So yeah, congress has decided that the "equilibrium" line is between warm and cold blooded animals. I'm sure various states have drawn different lines...

[ QUOTE ]
Is one human life also more valuable then every dolphin? then every whale or fish? is it more valuable then every tree?

[/ QUOTE ]

Human life is more valuable than animal or plant life. Obviously, one life is less valuable than every tree, because if every tree disappeared that would threaten EVERY human life, so your question is tricky.

I have no problem with animals being tested for drugs that may save human lives. I would prefer that the animals be treated as humanely as possible, but saving human lives is a bigger priority than saving rats' and mice's lives.

You're pretty out there if you disagree with this.

Something tells me if your own child had a rare illness that they were close to coming up with a cure for, you wouldn't care if dogs were being used in the labs to test the meds that might save your child.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Seems America cares more about dogs than female humans

[/ QUOTE ]
A dog will stop chewing his bone and run across the room to give you head the second you drop your pants. How many female humans do you know that do that?

[/ QUOTE ]

I would never get serious with a girl who wouldn't give me head anytime I wanted it.

I'm sorry that you have had to resort to animals for this purpose.

[/ QUOTE ]
Since you suck at OOT
Old 08-19-2007, 03:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
We have no idea why Parrish pushed her down the stairs (I have not even heard of this incident. If someone can find a link I'd appreciate it.) However I will say that often in spouse on spouse abuse, the emotional hurt goes both ways. The violence, and please don't misunderstand me as I'm not saying its justified, IS NOT AS DEPRAVED AS some a**hole seeing animals hurt to get his kicks. This is morally worse IMO and those who condone such behavior fall far lower on the chain than those who have let their emotions get the best of them in soured relationships

[/ QUOTE ]

Emotional hurt may go both ways, but physical hurt goes only one way. Sounds like you're trying to make up excuses for huge giant men kicking the [censored] out of their girlfriends and wives. Again I say, WTF

No one is "condoning" dogfighting but I can't understand people who think it is worse than domestic violence.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is worse from a moral point of view. People who lose it at the heat of the moment get far more sympathy from me than those who coldbloodily harm another living creature - be it human or animal
Old 08-19-2007, 03:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Your point would be marginally valid if every woman who has ever been beaten were a crazy bitch.

[/ QUOTE ]
My point is that people view it differently. As you can see from other responses in this thread, they do. I know thinking is difficult, try harder.