Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Heads Up Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2007, 09:12 PM

Default 200NL - trips facing large river checkraise all-in

One of the odder hands I have played recently and wondering how others would handle it. I have been playing this guy for maybe 15 minutes and it's a normal aggressive game. He's actually good and I should have probably quit him already but I'm stuck and stubborn (and I don't think he's amazing, but he's not braindead). I played one interesting hand with him already which factors into this: I raised with Q9, he calls. Flop is 99K with 2 hearts, I cbet, he checkraises me, I trap-call figuring I'm way ahead (I don't put him on anything here, I was totally expecting him to play back anytime now because I've been really aggressive and actually just bet like $153 into a $18 pot on the turn the hand previously - it was a misclick, thank you god he didn't have anything good). Turn is 3rd heart and he leads way stronger than I expected, and I'm actually a little worried suddenly, so I just call (raising would commit me to all-in given stack sizes). River is the ugly 4th heart and he instashoves for a bit more than a pot bet. I have no flush and fold reluctantly.

Okay, so that may or may not set the tone for this hand, I honestly don't know what it means in terms of this hand, but it demonstrates that this is actually probably one of the more aggressive 200NL matches I have played in a while.

I am more curious as to just what people here would do and think his range is. In my mind, this is actually an incredibly easy river decision, but the hand has stuck in my head for quite a while afterwards, and I have wondered what the consensus will be. So I am just posting basically out of curiosity as to what everyone would do and think his range is.

Full Tilt No-Limit Hold'em, $2 BB (2 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Hero ($300.30)
BB ($375.80)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $7</font>, BB calls $4.

Flop: ($13) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks.

Turn: ($13) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets $12</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $40</font>, BB calls $28.

River: ($93) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $92</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to $329.8 (All-In)</font>, Hero ???

(extra note: flop check is something I do now and then, it's not my standard line but something I throw in to mix my game up occasionally)
Old 08-18-2007, 11:16 PM

Default Re: 200NL - trips facing large river checkraise all-in

This is such a tough spot. I would call though. I will add more analysis later.
Old 08-19-2007, 12:38 AM

equity win tie pots won pots tied
Hand 0: 51.000% 48.00% 03.00% 24 1.50 { Qs9s }
Hand 1: 49.000% 46.00% 03.00% 23 1.50 { TT, 55, A9s, K9s, Q9s, J9s, T9s, 92s+, A9o, K9o, Q9o, J9o, T9o, 92o+ }

you can add bluffs and take away from weak os nines, but i think this is a call after you adjust the range better
Old 08-19-2007, 12:48 AM

I think you have to call for two reasons:

1. Villain could put you on a draw and try a c/r with any 2 on the river.

2. Villain could easy hold a 9 with a lower kicker.
Old 08-19-2007, 04:01 AM

You know what, I am disappointed in how I worded this post. I should have not said what my hand was and instead just asked "what is the minimum hand I can call with?". I do think Q9 is a very easy call. I sort of feel like the villain isn't shoving a ton of worse hands for value here, he may just call with trips lower kicker.

I guess after the hand I was more thinking "hmm, can I call with AT here? how about 88?". I think a possible hole in my game is that I will call here faster with AT than with 88, but really against a good thinking player, they're pretty much the same thing. I can't see a decent player trying to bluff me off a better hand with like T8 here, although anything is possible.

I'm rambling. But I wish I had just posted asking what the minimum hand I can call with is, because I think Q9 is a very easy call (although I'm going to be looking at a better hand a fair amount).
Old 08-19-2007, 08:16 AM

i call because of your flop check, unless you think this guy isn't capable.