Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-2007, 03:37 AM

Default The flop ...

Ok. After reading your comments I guess calling preflop should 've been my choice. But actually I raised t600 and the game went on ...

After the flop I had a flush draw, a gutshot and two overcards but had to play out of position against a villian I didn't know anything about.

What to do? Thanks again.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (6 handed) Hand History converter Courtesy of PokerZion.com

BB (t3310)
UTG (t5300)
Hero (t5040)
CO (t1020)
Button (t2520)
SB (t2810)

Preflop: Hero is MP with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
UTG calls t200, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t600</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls t600, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG folds.

Flop: (t1700) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Old 08-19-2007, 03:42 AM

Default Re: The flop ...

Well since u posted it guy probably has AJ or if real weak a10, if u bet the flop ur committed which is probably a bad thing because ur only 12 outs to the flush and queen pairing. Sure u got 12 outs bad ur still behind yada yada yada.

But standard line here is to bet out (button has 1900 left over) so about 1000 and go broke with the hand.
Old 08-19-2007, 04:19 AM

I don't necessarily think calling should have been your choice. I think you raised too little. In general I find once the blinds get this big, you have the clowns who limp with mediocre cards and fold to a raise or call raises they shouldn't with Ax, small pps. As played you're never folding this hand. I lead out for 1k and am prepared to call a shove.

EDIT: No offense to OP, one of my pet peeves is ppl posting hands with zero reads this late in a sng. Ppl please pay attention or get pahud, reads could change the advice you get when you post a hand.
Old 08-19-2007, 05:13 AM

Now that you've already raised preflop..

Continuation bet anywhere from 2/5 pot to all-in (1900 his stack vs 1700 pot) is standard - only this time you aren't crossing your fingers as much because you actually connected with the flop well enough. If he calls your shove, or you made a lighter c-bet and he shoved over you, you simply call and roll with it. If you lose by the end its just a little bit of a cooler. You would have played each street well (the call preflop was also an option, a slightly poorer one. and plus if the button raised you'd call and be in the same situation as here anyway) and thats about all you can do.
Old 08-19-2007, 12:19 PM

IMO calling is by far the best choice pf as I already said.

As for this flop, I shove. He only has I think around 1900 which is about equal to the pot, you have a monster hand here even if he hit.
Old 08-19-2007, 12:33 PM

pf - easy raise to 700 imo. you have position and plenty of chips to c-bet if the limper calls. you do not want to play this hand 5-handed.

as played, just push the flop. you want to try and fold out 66-99, and a push may work better than betting 1000.
Old 08-19-2007, 01:03 PM

I want to correct myself, when I say OP has position I mean in reference to the other big stack. I think a raise pf is probably the best play, maybe by a lot of course given no reads.
Old 08-19-2007, 11:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
pf - easy raise to 700 imo. you have position and plenty of chips to c-bet if the limper calls. you do not want to play this hand 5-handed.

as played, just push the flop. you want to try and fold out 66-99, and a push may work better than betting 1000.

[/ QUOTE ]

Preflop, once again, we are talking about the only other big stack here who has limped in front of you. I'm assuming he's fairly clueless so you won't be able to shove him out postflop. Why would you want to play a big pot against him?

Regarding everyone else, this hand is actually very easy to play 5-handed given stack sizes, if you hit you get all in against anyone but biggie, against whom you play like a huge nit of course, and you have room to figure out if you are good postflop against biggie in most cases, in position, by keeping the pot small to start with.

Of course raising is standard in general. This is a special case and anyone who wants to raise here should give it some thought.