Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2007, 05:49 PM

Default Table Selection

What criteria do you guys use for table selection?

What I do right now is observe tables for a while and then check the stats across the tables with some custom queries I wrote....generally I'm looking for minVPIP/maxVPIP, minPFR/maxPFR, minBB100/maxBB100 at each table for any players I have >250 hands on.

I don't think PFR is that important in this, I think I should probably be looking at aggression factor (or PFR as well as postflop AF)...I just don't have postflop AF in my query at all now...haven't looked into calculating that yet.

Generally I use these numbers to help in determining tables to investigate and I try to find tables with the most soft (big losers over a sufficient number of hands) players.

I think if I multitabled then table selection wouldn't be as big of a deal since I'd be trying to get on 30-60% of the tables at a time anyways.

Lastly, is there anyone out there who has a good background with the PT database (knows the schema well and a good stat background) who would be interested in working on my table selection app with me?

Here's what I have so far (most I already mentioned above)
http://www.kp4x.com/phud.png
Old 08-18-2007, 06:28 PM

Default Re: Table Selection

Stats are vastly over-rated because the biggest donators will likely be unknowns and table averages can be scewed by lots of factors. I find some of my best tables by hitting up ones with "bad" stats.

Just give position to known multi-tabling nits, pay attention and leave if it doesn't look very good.
Old 08-18-2007, 06:44 PM

Thanks

FWIW, I wouldn't look at average table stats either.....I'm mostly interested in seeing min/max for the mentioned stats to aid in investigation.
Old 08-18-2007, 09:36 PM

Heres a tl;dr post on table and seat selection that I wrote a few weeks back. enjoy.
Old 08-19-2007, 01:28 PM

I look at VPIP and PFR. People that are not aggresive enough pf are leaking. The aggression factor is a useless stat IMO. It takes ages to converge, and it always is something between 1-2.