Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2007, 02:41 PM

Default Standard fold preflop?

His stack is too small for me to smoothcall i thought, and i didnt see him folding a better hand to a raise. is this an easy fold?

Full Tilt Poker
No Limit Holdem Tournament
Blinds: t150/t300
(Ante: t25)
7 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: t11515
UTG+1: t22920
MP1: t8005
CO: t3590
Button: t10360
Hero: t18595
BB: t6005

Pre-flop: (7 players) Hero is SB with 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
3 folds, <font color="#cc0000">CO raises to t900</font>, Button folds, Hero folds, BB folds.
Uncalled bets: t600 returned to CO.

Results:
Final pot: t925
Old 08-18-2007, 03:26 PM

Default Re: Standard fold preflop?

His M is 5 and he's 12x BB and he decided not to push against 3 remaining. If he's a good player this might indicate only high PP. But if he's not a good player, one who is overly chip-preservative, then only committing a quarter of his stack puts him on a wide range and you should shove as he will fold a good portion of that range. You have the M to do it.
Old 08-18-2007, 04:23 PM

12BB is a tiny bit soon to start shoving it in just to steal blinds in every occation. A normal raise of 3BB makes it possible to escape if the flop is way too dangerous. Also many people think one have a monster when one just raise to 3BB so they dont dare to call ... even with hands they normally maybe call an all-in with. On the other hand if the players after me are donkeys I shove even with AA. But against good players who understand the game a raise to 3BB are mostly better.

BTW one can call with the intention of doing a stop-n-go in this position with a PP if one think FI has AK/Q and dont se e an A on the flop one shove it in and hope FI dont call.
Old 08-18-2007, 04:35 PM

I shove here, but I love coinflips.
Old 08-18-2007, 06:46 PM

This one is very close and I can see going either way pushing/folding. Calling is a terrible idea. I guess I am probably leaning towards folding but that i because I am not a big fan of coinflips when there is still a lot of play. But I don't think pushing here is a bad play. My decision could very well hinge on my read of the player.

Any reads? PT stats maybe?
Old 08-19-2007, 12:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
BTW one can call with the intention of doing a stop-n-go in this position with a PP if one think FI has AK/Q and dont se e an A on the flop one shove it in and hope FI dont call.

[/ QUOTE ]

SnG misapplication alert. A stop and go is designed to get a mid PP to fold after the flop. Getting AK/AQ to fold unimproved is bad poker with 66.