Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2007, 02:26 AM

Default Re: Spirit Mountain Hand Play Along

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i definitely donk the flop, i don't think it's close (lol @ check/raising to face the field with two cold)

[/ QUOTE ]

I appreciate your opinion, but since I am here to learn WHY these decisions I make are so bad, could you please enlighten me as to why this is such a bad move?

Are 6 clean outs to the cinch THAT good to where we want to start building a huge pot? I guess the pot is already large enough so flush draws are calling anyway, but I'd be honored if you'd fill me in (not being sarcastic.. like I said, I'm here to learn).

Thanks,
Nick

[/ QUOTE ]
The main reason why a check/raise isn't good is that we're still drawing. If we check and Smuggy bets and we raise, it's like we're trying to force everyone else out of the hand. If you want to assume we only have 6 outs to our straight due to there being a flush draw out, it means that we're going to make our flush about 25% of the time by the river. Therefore, if we're going to bet or raise for value, we want to be putting in less than 25% of the money to make a bet profitable. If Smuggy bets, and we raise, then the flush draw and Smuggy call while everyone else folds, we put in 33% of the money and our raise was a loser for us.

Because we can't get strong draws to hands that would be our straight if we make it like flush draws, sets or two pair, we really don't need to be forcing people out. Instead, we should be focused on building a pot (if we can do so profitably) by convincing people with weak hands to come along , or just calling along if we have odds to hit. We aren't looking to drive out people holding bottom or middle pair.
Old 08-18-2007, 12:50 PM

UTG calls, UTG1 calls, 2 folds, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, HJ calls, Smuggy (OTB) raises, Befolder(SB) looks and sees T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]9x and call, BB calls, all call.

Flop (15sb, rake & jackpot dropped): J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Befolder bets, 1 fold, 5 calls, Smuggy raises, Befolder 3 bets, at least 3 calls including Smuggy.

Turn (15.5BB)
J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Befolder bets, two calls, Smuggy folds

My plan before the turn was a nine was to just c/c the turn. Once the nine came and gave me a couple more ways to win. Even though I thought the chances were very slim to get a hand that was currently better than mine to fold, I figured betting gave me the best chance here. I was afraid someone else had just hit their draw though.

River: J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img])

Befolder...
Old 08-18-2007, 12:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
River: J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img])

Befolder...

[/ QUOTE ]

I would bet the river. You probably would have heard from QT on the turn, and the possible flush is backdoor.

So, it seems like a value bet to me.
Old 08-18-2007, 01:01 PM

RIVER: Bet/call. I'm certainly not too worried about runner-runner flush from your donkeyish opponents.
Old 08-18-2007, 01:48 PM

Anything that isn't betting would seem silly.
Old 08-18-2007, 02:17 PM

I think it's time to get to the punchline of this hand.

Befolder bet, one fold, new guy who just got to the table three hands ago, looks up, directly at me and confidently announces, "I raise!"

I'm a bit sick to my stomach at those back door diamonds, but there's no way I can even think about folding.

I say, you may have me beat, but I have to call and throw my chips in. He announces, I have a straight and promptly turns over a six and a five for the idiot end of it.

I'm shocked, but manage to utter, "Oh...well I have a better one," and flip over my cards for the scoop.

Needless to say he was suprised.

Thanks for all the replies guys. Some things to think about for sure. Results only posted to finish the joke.
Old 08-18-2007, 02:35 PM

Location: Downswing? No, playing bad. No, I\'m sure its just a downswing.

If there was anything I learned on my way to poobahness, it's how to spell jopke.
Old 08-18-2007, 02:47 PM

Learnig to spel is gut. But now we aslo nkow how to paly T9o for fun and pr0fit.
Old 08-18-2007, 02:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I say, you may have me beat, but I have to call and throw my chips in. He announces, I have a straight and promptly turns over a six and a five for the idiot end of it.

[/ QUOTE ]
Please tell me it was 65[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], or he's a moron.

Actually, wait a minute, tell me it was anything but 65[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. God, I love playing live.
Old 08-18-2007, 03:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Please tell me it was 65[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], or he's a moron.

Actually, wait a minute, tell me it was anything but 65[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].

[/ QUOTE ]

Honestly, I don't remember. He was on the opposite on the end like me and as soon as I saw he didn't have diamonds or a ten, I pretty much didn't look further.

However, if the guy actually thought he had a lock on the hand the way he announced it, I don't think it matters what suits he had. He was content to draw to his gutshot the whole way.

[ QUOTE ]
God, I love playing live.

[/ QUOTE ]

Amen to that brother!
[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]