$11 7 28.00%
$22 2 8.00%
$33 2 8.00%
$55 3 12.00%
$109 4 16.00%
$215 1 4.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-17-2007, 03:15 PM

Default Re: sports where you can 100% outplay your opponent and lose?

OP and grando,

Your tennis criticism doesn't make sense. Scoring in tennis is by sets, not by points. Think about tennis like this. Points are called "downs" and games are called "legs" now. If you make 4 downs (must win by 2), you get a leg. If you get 6 legs (must win by 2), you win a point. Whoever scores the most points wins.

By the same token, football is not won by gaining more yards or making more first downs than the other team. It is won by kicking field goals and scoring touchdowns.

It is far easier to dominate a team in football, but have a couple of fluke plays result in huge impact to the final score than it is to dominate someone in tennis and lose.

Soccer is a WAY better answer than tennis. In soccer, you can outplay a team all game, completely owning possession and just getting unlucky with a couple of bad offsides calls negating goals and hitting the crossbar a ton. Then, the other team gets a questionable penalty call and converts for the win.
Old 08-17-2007, 03:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Dunno about american sports, but after reading the OP soccer immediately came to mind. Both on pro and amateur level.

About two years ago the team I played in had to pay the league leaders, we were third in the table.

They totally dominated us from start to end, I think we crossed the middle-line of the field 3 times, and we were able to score from a sneaky counter attack.

Second half we did not cross the line once. I think they hit the post 3 times, had about 25 corner kicks vs. none of ours, and basically all we did was defend, we could not set up a decent attack against them.

Final score 1-0 in our favour, weirdest game I ever played.

At pro level I have seen many many games that would qualify.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just don't understand how you don't consider that you outplayed them.

They hit the post? so, may as well have launched into the seats, it's either a goal, or it's not, and theres were not.

On the other hand, your team took advantage of a weakness of their's and scored a goal.
Old 08-17-2007, 03:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
all of them

also, wrong forum

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-17-2007, 03:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Pool. In 9-ball the break is far too powerful. Alternating break alleviates this to some extent.

[/ QUOTE ]

Also, you can pocket 8 balls in a row, miss one shot, and lose the game to a guy who only takes one shot.
Old 08-17-2007, 03:23 PM

First off, that is definitely about the best example that one can come up with for tennis. But even so, you can basically consider tiebreakers in tennis as overtime in other sports. Performance in the short overtime period in all of these sports is given a disproportionate level of impact compared to the amount of play in the regular period. So, I don't think even that example really counts. It's more like an NBA playoff series where one team wins 3 games fairly easily, and the other team wins 2 games fairly easily + wins 2 overtime nailbiters. Even though it was 3 to 2 for clear dominance and 2 very close ones, I say the team that showed up in the clutch is the one that played better.
Old 08-17-2007, 03:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I just don't understand how you don't consider that you outplayed them.

They hit the post? so, may as well have launched into the seats, it's either a goal, or it's not, and theres were not.

On the other hand, your team took advantage of a weakness of their's and scored a goal.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, well, now we are getting into definitions of what is understood by being outplayed.

We nearly lost all personal battles for the ball, were not able to set up any decent attacks but one, they pressed us in the last third of the field throughout the game, and had we had lost by 5-1 it would have been a reflection of the happenings on the field.

So yeah, they outplayed us. But hey, we outlucked them I guess.

Do you play/watch soccer? If so, what level/games?
Old 08-17-2007, 03:43 PM

Football
Old 08-17-2007, 03:48 PM

the american presidential elections
Old 08-17-2007, 03:59 PM

Worst thread ever. I've never seen so many bad examples and justifications of those examples. It's like no one has ever played these sports before...
Old 08-17-2007, 04:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Pool. In 9-ball the break is far too powerful. Alternating break alleviates this to some extent.

[/ QUOTE ]

Also, you can pocket 8 balls in a row, miss one shot, and lose the game to a guy who only takes one shot.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is the best answer, especially in the context of two average-below average players that rarely if ever run the table off the break.