Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2007, 01:58 PM

Default A different kind of Bankroll Question

So in about a month, or maybe a little less, I'm going to be inheriting a couple thousand dollars. I planned to use this money to pay off quite a few outstanding bills I have, but I also wanted to use it to pad my bankroll. So now I have a few miscellaneous questions I'd like to ask. Let's put the amount I'll contribute to poker at $2000 for simplicity's sake.

1. Should I put it all on one site and play only there, or spread my money around? If so, which site do you guys recommend as far as the easiest money?

2. Should I move up in limits considerably since I will have the bankroll to fund it? Right now I play .25/.50 FR on FTP. $2000 dollars in and of itself is 500BB at 2/4 limit. Of course, I have not played beyond the occasional .5/1 game, so are the games tougher? Should I just stick with .5/1 or 1/2 until I can safely beat them and then move up even though I have the bankroll to cover 2/4?

3. Bonus whoring.. it's still helpful I assume. Which site or sites do you guys recommend I use to get my bonus on? I am no longer trying to maximize a $100 bankroll, but now a $2000 bankroll. I've looked around at various bonus sites and rakeback sites, but would like some of your input.

4. Is it a dumb idea for a newb like me to even be putting $2000 into their bankroll at this point? Are there better things I could spend my money on if I'm too fresh into playing poker? Perhaps $1000 is a better number. Perhaps just $500. Or is it "the more money, the better!"

Thanks a lot guys. Looking forward to your insights.

Nick
Old 08-17-2007, 02:22 PM

Default Re: A different kind of Bankroll Question

1) I'd spread it around, especially if you like to play some donkaments. You'd be more likely to catch random ones that you'd like. Plus if you sometimes play off hours, having options at more than one site give you a better chance of finding better tables.

2) I wouldn't move up more than a level. If .25/.50 is your normal game and you're beating it then I'd give .5/1 a shot. If you run well or think you have a handle on stuff, I'd be more prone to take shots at bigger games earlier than I normally would though. I just think jumping up 3 levels right away, especially if you haven't been beating your normal game for that long (maybe you have, I don't know) is asking for trouble. I'm rather risk adverse though FWIW.

3) I don't know much about bonus whoring anymore or how easy it is to do as an American. I think getting rakeback is a good idea though.

4) I don't think adding a ton to your bankroll is bad. Takes some of the time out of normal grind. Adding a ton and jumping into something that's over your head would be bad though. Personally though, if I got that much money out of nowhere, I'd buy myself something nice and tell myself that's it's what the person would've wanted.
Old 08-17-2007, 02:36 PM

You should NOT move up in stakes until you are sure you can beat the stake you are at.

Yes since your bankroll is $100 to begin with it's somewhat questionable what you can do with an extra $2000. The limits you are playing at, you can't whore, assuming you are sticking to 300BB-rule so there's no sense of spreading it around. All you can do is add $200 and play 50c.
So buy PokerTracker and some books recommended in by the posters. Check the 2+2 book forum. Mason has some reviews there. Use the money to reduce the grind when moving up in stakes.

There's link in the FAQ for bonuswhoring. Check it out.
Old 08-17-2007, 02:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You should NOT move up in stakes until you are sure you can beat the stake you are at.

[/ QUOTE ]

This isn't true. Being sure you can beat your current level takes a long time. Moving up is a function of your comfort level with your current stakes, whether you can afford to gamble some of your bankroll, and whether you want to move up.

If you want to make money, you've got to take shots, otherwise you'll never make much money. If you're like me and play for fun and for education, who cares what stakes you play? Play whatever makes you happy.
Old 08-17-2007, 03:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So in about a month, or maybe a little less, I'm going to be inheriting a couple thousand dollars. I planned to use this money to pay off quite a few outstanding bills I have, but I also wanted to use it to pad my bankroll. So now I have a few miscellaneous questions I'd like to ask. Let's put the amount I'll contribute to poker at $2000 for simplicity's sake.

1. Should I put it all on one site and play only there, or spread my money around? If so, which site do you guys recommend as far as the easiest money?

2. Should I move up in limits considerably since I will have the bankroll to fund it? Right now I play .25/.50 FR on FTP. $2000 dollars in and of itself is 500BB at 2/4 limit. Of course, I have not played beyond the occasional .5/1 game, so are the games tougher? Should I just stick with .5/1 or 1/2 until I can safely beat them and then move up even though I have the bankroll to cover 2/4?

3. Bonus whoring.. it's still helpful I assume. Which site or sites do you guys recommend I use to get my bonus on? I am no longer trying to maximize a $100 bankroll, but now a $2000 bankroll. I've looked around at various bonus sites and rakeback sites, but would like some of your input.

4. Is it a dumb idea for a newb like me to even be putting $2000 into their bankroll at this point? Are there better things I could spend my money on if I'm too fresh into playing poker? Perhaps $1000 is a better number. Perhaps just $500. Or is it "the more money, the better!"

Thanks a lot guys. Looking forward to your insights.

Nick

[/ QUOTE ]

1) I have mine spread on 4 sites. Personal choice though.

2) Don't move up in limits because you have the bankroll for it. Until you have "earned" the bankroll at poker.

3) Bonus whoring. Absolutely but don't count it as part of 2

4) It is what is sustainable and comfortable. Your win rate drives your options here IMO. Strictly play with winnings and you will always be a winning player. Poker is one continuous session with breaks for family, work, sleep, other activities. Don't make abrupt changes in course unless your knowledge and skill (read winnings) support it.

Off my soapbox now. Have fun whatever you decide to do.
Old 08-17-2007, 03:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Personally though, if I got that much money out of nowhere, I'd buy myself something nice and tell myself that's it's what the person would've wanted.

[/ QUOTE ]

Aunt Cathy allways was a fan of hookers and blow [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-17-2007, 03:34 PM

lmao [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Wait no. Bad advice.

$2000= 1 night of hookers and blow
$2000= 1 MONTH of being rivered and not having your raises respected.

The choice is obvious. I think.
Old 08-17-2007, 03:50 PM

If this more than doubles or triples your bank roll it is an enormously bad idea. Get out of debt.
Old 08-17-2007, 04:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If this more than doubles or triples your bank roll it is an enormously bad idea. Get out of debt.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why is this a bad idea? Could you elaborate?

Also, I am using most of the other money to get out of debt. This money will be in excess of my debt.

[ QUOTE ]
So buy PokerTracker and some books recommended in by the posters. Check the 2+2 book forum. Mason has some reviews there. Use the money to reduce the grind when moving up in stakes.

[/ QUOTE ]

I already own poker tracker. I also own SSHE and HEPFAP. Thinking about purchasing TOP. I dunno other than that. Any other investments you guys can think of besides books that would be of a great benefit in my "poker career?"
Old 08-17-2007, 05:30 PM

If your current br is a couple hundred bucks and you bump it to a couple thousand bucks you are likely to do one of two things:
1. You will no longer care about the money at the micros and start making calls because "it's only an x" and your play will suffer. You need to care something about the money but not enough that one pot is going to give you coniptions.
2. You will move up to a stake you aren't ready for and lose money you can't replace, ending up playing the micros again except jaded because of where you've been.

Both of these lead to poker becoming something you have to do instead of something you want to do.

What is poker to you? Is it going to be more than a hobby? If not why drop enough to get started in pretty much any other hobby on it? If you really can't think of something better to spend it on, take it someplace where you can play live