Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2007, 10:23 PM

Default Re: I know most religious people don\'t really believe. And I can prove

"In an undergraduate student project at the University of California, Davis, Regan Clark claims that there is little research directly linking IQ with higher or lower levels of religiosity and spirituality. Clark's article in Explorations: An Undergraduate Research Journal (2004) found, while noting that the sample limited generalizations, no significant correlation between religiosity levels and IQ scores."

(From the OP's link)
Old 08-16-2007, 10:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That's not the argument, the argument was that we are created with a fear of death, not that we shouldnt strive to overcome it.

[/ QUOTE ]
I believe people are confusing the flight or fight response with fear of death. The first is a purely involuntary biological reaction. The second is a psychological or emotional state.

The OP in particular doesn't seem to know the difference.
Old 08-16-2007, 11:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
That's not the argument, the argument was that we are created with a fear of death, not that we shouldnt strive to overcome it.

[/ QUOTE ]
I believe people are confusing the flight or fight response with fear of death. The first is a purely involuntary biological reaction. The second is a psychological or emotional state.

The OP in particular doesn't seem to know the difference.

[/ QUOTE ]
They are different things. Nonetheless, there are christians who experience both. Ultimately, I dont think it means anything other than people are not 100% sure of what they believe on faith. (This seems obvious to me since every christian I have spoken with have changed their views over time - it'd be a brave call to say "But where I am now is exactly right")
Old 08-17-2007, 12:05 AM

Default Re: I know most religious people don\'t really believe. And I can prove it.

It took you 10 paragraphs to say "why would they be afraid, unless deep inside they knew it wasn't real, or at least they had reasonable doubt that it was"

Religious people don't have perfect faith, thats not a new revelation. You can make the same claim about most thinking atheist's faith that the sun is gonna rise tommorrow.

Stu
Old 08-17-2007, 12:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"In an undergraduate student project at the University of California, Davis, Regan Clark claims that there is little research directly linking IQ with higher or lower levels of religiosity and spirituality. Clark's article in Explorations: An Undergraduate Research Journal (2004) found, while noting that the sample limited generalizations, no significant correlation between religiosity levels and IQ scores."

(From the OP's link)

[/ QUOTE ]

Typical ignorant cherry-picking. You know, I gave you that link for a reason. Because I knew you would do that. Ignore the more relevant evidence and go with the one project by undergraduate students. Way to go, boy.
Old 08-17-2007, 12:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well, one wouldn't know it by reading anything you've written. The day you think you can match intellects with such giants as Thomas Acquinas is the day we all know how really ignorant you truly are.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thomas Acquinas? Please. You could have named any top scientist of the last 100 years instead? As they're ALL atheists?
Old 08-17-2007, 12:13 PM

Default Re: I know most religious people don\'t really believe. And I can prove it.

[ QUOTE ]
It took you 10 paragraphs to say "why would they be afraid, unless deep inside they knew it wasn't real, or at least they had reasonable doubt that it was"

[/ QUOTE ]

You are completely right, and when I explained the concept to my rational, intelligent friends, they understood it from the get go, and it only took me 40 words or so to explain the concept.

However in here we have more difficult cases. You see, I wrote all that and still some people misinterpreted me.

[ QUOTE ]

Religious people don't have perfect faith, thats not a new revelation.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's new if you trust what they say, that they see absolutely no chance that their beliefs aren't true. Excuse me for being so credulous.

[ QUOTE ]

You can make the same claim about most thinking atheist's faith that the sun is gonna rise tommorrow.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, you can't. You don't see people panicking about freezing to death next morning. Well, at least not a relevant percentage of people. Either theists or atheists.
Old 08-17-2007, 01:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Well, one wouldn't know it by reading anything you've written. The day you think you can match intellects with such giants as Thomas Acquinas is the day we all know how really ignorant you truly are.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thomas Acquinas? Please. You could have named any top scientist of the last 100 years instead? As they're ALL atheists?

[/ QUOTE ]

How can you put a scientist on the same level as Aquinas?

The real question is whether Aquinas would have believed in the same God after evolutionary theory. Few great philosophers since have been religious.
Old 08-17-2007, 05:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How can you put a scientist on the same level as Aquinas?

The real question is whether Aquinas would have believed in the same God after evolutionary theory. Few great philosophers since have been religious.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can't measure the greatness of a philosopher, such an evaluation is a lot more about subjective feelings and interpretation than anything else.
Old 08-17-2007, 05:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]

You are completely right, and when I explained the concept to my rational, intelligent friends, they understood it from the get go, and it only took me 40 words or so to explain the concept.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your just humoring each other.