Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2007, 04:20 AM

Default Re: ($24) AQs first hand

[ QUOTE ]
You cant win a tourney on the first hand, only lose it. Basic strategy sir. Even a double up early doesnt give you a crushing chip lead.

[/ QUOTE ]

What is all this? You win a tourney by getting all the chips, and you get all the chips largely by identifying situations where you are a clear favorite, and this is one.

Your edge in STTs is so thin that you can't ignore a clear +$EV situation at any time, first hand or not. 60-40 is plenty, even with a substantial skill edge.

If anything, you don't mind busting here (given that it's a +$EV situation of course) because you just fire up another.
Old 08-17-2007, 04:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You don't want to spray your equity all over the table on a 60/40 or similar proposition in the tourny's first hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, you do. See my other post.
Old 08-17-2007, 04:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You cant win a tourney on the first hand, only lose it. Basic strategy sir. Even a double up early doesnt give you a crushing chip lead.

[/ QUOTE ]

What is all this? You win a tourney by getting all the chips, and you get all the chips largely by identifying situations where you are a clear favorite, and this is one.

Your edge in STTs is so thin that you can't ignore a clear +$EV situation at any time, first hand or not. 60-40 is plenty, even with a substantial skill edge.

If anything, you don't mind busting here (given that it's a +$EV situation of course) because you just fire up another.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this really +EV? And yes you can give up clear cut +EV moves if they are really thin, because larger ones will come up later.

Villian would have to be super lag-tard for this to be +EV..
Old 08-17-2007, 08:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Villian would have to be super lag-tard for this to be +EV..

[/ QUOTE ]
And OP has a note to that effect.

I agree - it's a call. His range is huge not only because he's a LAG early but this is BvB and he's probably giving you a pretty wide range and himself a lot of FE.
Old 08-17-2007, 08:31 AM

with the note i call and chuckle at his hand then cry at suckout and curse to god. then i think woot my notes are effective
Old 08-17-2007, 12:26 PM

At $5 and $10 tables, this more often than not means some sort of pair or AK. I would probably fold unless I had specific notes that the villain loves all-in overbets. If the villain does this with Poker Stove's top 10% of starting hands, you are at 53.3%; with 15%, you are at 58.2%. If your ROI is in the 10-30% range, your threshold for racing early in a STT probably lies somewhere between the two.