Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2007, 04:07 AM

Default Re: Iso push or flat call with 77 in EP facing shorties shove?

[ QUOTE ]
I didn't actually consider folding (perhaps foolishly). UTG is pushing super-wide. His range IMO is 22-AA (I think he shoves AA in his position, because flatting would send alarm bells to everyone else), Ax, K9+, QJ, QT & probably other suited connectors.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sorry, but results aside, pushing or calling is a bad move. I agree with you on the range but exclude the low suited connectors due to the fact he's UTG. Against that range you are about 50/50 I reckon. Even if you isolate the play isn't is only marginally +EV and the risk of running into a higher pair behind is too great.

You are in EP with a marginal hand, you have to be willing to fold these sometimes.
Old 08-17-2007, 04:10 AM

ya, looks like a fold to me.
Old 08-17-2007, 06:05 AM

I'm folding this.
Old 08-17-2007, 09:17 AM

77 is definitely a favourite over his range...I disagree with him being UTG making him push fairly tight...he's in the BB next hand which will leave him with 0 first in fold equity if he folds this hand...I think a 40% shoving range of 22+,A2+,K2s+,K6o+,Q5s+,Q9o+,J9o+,T9,J8s+,T8s+,87s, 76s is definitely possible. That said the edge still isn't enough I dont think because we're UTG+1, in something like HJ/CO you can isoshove but there's too many players behind here.
Old 08-17-2007, 09:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
77 is definitely a favourite over his range...I disagree with him being UTG making him push fairly tight...he's in the BB next hand which will leave him with 0 first in fold equity if he folds this hand...I think a 40% shoving range of 22+,A2+,K2s+,K6o+,Q5s+,Q9o+,J9o+,T9,J8s+,T8s+,87s, 76s is definitely possible. That said the edge still isn't enough I dont think because we're UTG+1, in something like HJ/CO you can isoshove but there's too many players behind here.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I agree with this. Against this opponent, I know his range is super wide, even UTG. He wants the blinfs or a double up... or to go home.

Having said that, I do agree I played this hand horribly and would muck it next time I'm in the situation. Vs a standard/unknown opponent, this is a standard fold IMO, and even vs a super-short lag, it's very marginal.

Thanks for the analysis folks.