Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2007, 04:49 AM

Default Re: 1/2 limit as a job

9 tabling $3/6 for 0.8 BB/100... 720hands/h, 5.76BB/h, ~$35/h =~ 25 euro/h. For me, not worth it. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] It's still a fun game though.
Old 08-16-2007, 07:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Games during the day in the U.S. are not nearly as good as games in the evening. It's much easier to beat games in peak hours

[/ QUOTE ]

You are right but if he becomes the 1/2 'master' it will not matter. Seriously I'm going to give you some hardcore insight here. listen good.

You play 40k hands a month and make 1.5bb/hr if u are dedicated in your entirety and cannot do this do not play. You will become a prop at a shitball tiny site for 100% RB

$3x4 is $12 an hr
$6x4 in rake is $24 an hr

thats $1440 p/w or like just under 6k a month!!!

[img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

JT
Old 08-16-2007, 08:28 AM

OP, if you want to make a living playing small stakes SH LHE you prolly need to introduce yourself to the small stakes shorthanded forum.

I suggest you keep your job for know, learn to play SH LHE and build a bankroll for 5/10 and higher and then go pro

As an alternative you could try making a living playing lower stakes but living in a country with low cost of living. Try PM'ing BrassMonkey, he plays 3/6 at stars and makes a fine living of it in Thailand. He is a nice guy and will def help you.
Old 08-16-2007, 12:57 PM

You cant be working that much to be making $1000 a month. Why not just play poker on the side more often? Playing 1/2 professionally will lead to alot of alcohol and ramen noodles.
Old 08-16-2007, 02:28 PM

I split rent($500/month) with my girlfriend. I live in Thunder Bay, Ontario which is pretty much a dead end city so you can find apartments for peanuts. I'm only making $8.50/hour which is minimum wage and i usually put in about 30 hours/week at work. I'm pretty confident that i can beat the 1/2 limit games for about 1bb/hour, so i intend to start off at this level and just build my bankroll until i have enough to move up to 3/6. I get the sense from all the feedback that most of the posters feel that 1/2 isnt a high enough limit to make any decent money, however, anything over $8.50/hour would be an improvement and with rakeback and bonuses i dont think its all that difficult to acomplish.
Old 08-16-2007, 02:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm pretty confident that i can beat the 1/2 limit games for about 1bb/hour, so i intend to start off at this level and just build my bankroll until i have enough to move up to 3/6. I get the sense from all the feedback that most of the posters feel that 1/2 isnt a high enough limit to make any decent money, however, anything over $8.50/hour would be an improvement and with rakeback and bonuses i dont think its all that difficult to acomplish

[/ QUOTE ]

If those are your goals for now, I think you might be right. The tough thing will be sitting at the computer and putting in all of those hours. I would see if you can get in the necessary hours on your days off for a couple of weekends in a row. If you can do that, you got a chance, and it doesn't sound like you are giving up a career or anything irreplaceable if you have to find another job.

Good luck,
let us know how you are doing, and also spend a little time each day studying/posting/responding, because that investment will help your game.
Old 08-17-2007, 07:24 AM

1/2 as a job is ridiculous.

5/10 or above is the minimal limit worth playing for a living. Even if you get your 1k/month, MC, KFC or BK would pay you more for the effort!
Old 08-17-2007, 10:36 AM

$1000 bankroll is not nearly enough if you want to make a living. IMO you should have 1000BB for you current limit if you plan to constantly skim profits off it.
My advice: Go to a site like pokerstars which has plenty of fish, beat it for like 2BB/100 (achievable IMO) and you have a BR for 2/4 in a short time. I guess its possible to grind 2/4 and make a living off rakeback. Lets say you get 30 hours a week 4tabeling, makes ~500 table hours a month, or 50k hands. If you generate $10 in rake per 100 hands, with 30% rakeback you make $1500 in rakeback alone. Say you beat the game for 1BB/100, your monthly income would be $3500.
Old 08-17-2007, 01:22 PM

exactly what i was thinking...what do the sites offer prop players? it seems as if the OP would be providing enough action to qualify as one, thus perhaps the site would pay him / cut a deal to give him better terms than offered to the general public...
Old 08-17-2007, 01:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
OP, if you want to make a living playing small stakes SH LHE you prolly need to introduce yourself to the small stakes shorthanded forum.

I suggest you keep your job for know, learn to play SH LHE and build a bankroll for 5/10 and higher and then go pro

As an alternative you could try making a living playing lower stakes but living in a country with low cost of living. Try PM'ing BrassMonkey, he plays 3/6 at stars and makes a fine living of it in Thailand. He is a nice guy and will def help you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks Oink... [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]