Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > High Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 04:28 AM

Default Re: Underhanded Tactic Used in a 10/20 NL game, Please Discuss.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Honestly I wasnt going for the internet tough guy approach, but I have played in some games with some pretty rough ppl. And I was just commenting that if you continue this behaviour the wrong person might just take offence.

I dont necessarily believe that this would happen to you but you have to admit that there is atleast a chance of it happening. And if it does, you deserve it was my point.

[/ QUOTE ]

Poker is a game of calculated risks. This includes the play of the cards as well as the metagame. But, that said, thank you for looking out for my well-being by pointing out this violent possibilty to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is embarassing.
Old 08-17-2007, 04:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
why the [censored] are you playing live? maybe just multitable a game 1/4 as big and make more money and not have to resort to tempting people to beat the [censored] out of you?

[/ QUOTE ]

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...e=7&fpart=1
Old 08-17-2007, 04:29 AM

Nick,

I'm with you fully on the principle of not caring about rules as long as a move has a positive financial expectation.

I saw this old lady walkin down the street the other day, and i crept up behind that sumbizitch and laced her across the back of the head and stole her handbag.

Keep it real for all the old school ballas homie, dont matter if you made a G today in a sleazy way, you gotta get paid.. AMIRITE?
Old 08-17-2007, 04:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
And also this is cheating it violates the one player to a hand rule. As you are offering your insight which unfairly influences a players action.

[/ QUOTE ]
Cheating according to the law or according to the rules of the poker room? Breaking a poker room's rules doesn't make you a cheater, and it's not illegal. Breaking the law does make you a cheater and is illegal. In the case of this example, there is no proof I used any information not available to everyone to influence the outcome of the game, so I don't think it can be considered cheating.
Old 08-17-2007, 04:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Honestly I wasnt going for the internet tough guy approach, but I have played in some games with some pretty rough ppl. And I was just commenting that if you continue this behaviour the wrong person might just take offence.

I dont necessarily believe that this would happen to you but you have to admit that there is atleast a chance of it happening. And if it does, you deserve it was my point.

[/ QUOTE ]

Poker is a game of calculated risks. This includes the play of the cards as well as the metagame. But, that said, thank you for looking out for my well-being by pointing out this violent possibilty to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not looking out for you, I honestly believe you are a scumbag. You are cheating, a number of very smart posters have told you why it is cheating yet you completly disregard what they have said.

I know the goal in poker is to win all the money but what your doing is disgusting. I just dont get why you would stoop this low for what is a very small edge. The situations where you are able to influence the action are fairly rare and probably add very little to your hourly rate.

What would be your reaction if someone did this to you? Do you believe that this is a fair tactic?
Old 08-17-2007, 04:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Nick,

I'm with you fully on the principle of not caring about rules as long as a move has a positive financial expectation.

I saw this old lady walkin down the street the other day, and i crept up behind that sumbizitch and laced her across the back of the head and stole her handbag.

Keep it real for all the old school ballas homie, dont matter if you made a G today in a sleazy way, you gotta get paid.. AMIRITE?

[/ QUOTE ]
That would be illegal, and just plain mean. I wouldn't do that.
Old 08-17-2007, 04:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
And also this is cheating it violates the one player to a hand rule. As you are offering your insight which unfairly influences a players action.

[/ QUOTE ]
Cheating according to the law or according to the rules of the poker room? Breaking a poker room's rules doesn't make you a cheater, and it's not illegal. Breaking the law does make you a cheater and is illegal. In the case of this example, there is no proof I used any information not available to everyone to influence the outcome of the game, so I don't think it can be considered cheating.

[/ QUOTE ]

You cant be this dilusional. Of course the basic information is availiable to everyone at the table, ie observation. But YOU are gathering this information and interpreting it based on your OWN experiences and skills, thus making a determination on what the players action means. This analysis is personal and should not be availiable to anyone else at the table. DUCY??
Old 08-17-2007, 04:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont get it if your breaking the rules of the cardroom you are playing in you are still cheating within the context of that game.
Old 08-17-2007, 04:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What would be your reaction if someone did this to you? Do you believe that this is a fair tactic?

[/ QUOTE ]
Obviously I'd be nonplussed. But so what? Most people won't pull this tactic even if they could. What makes this exploitable for me is that I'm willing to stoop to a lower level than my opponents in order to win the money. It's the same thing that makes us all exploitable to outright cheaters... card markers or people who work with the help or anything like that. It's just a different level of stooping, and one where the line is drawn before it becomes illegal. I'm actually not morally opposed to cheating (it's really no different in principle when someone uses his finely-honed manual dexterity to get an edge than when someone uses his finely-honed mind to get an edge... either way, the sucker has no chance and isn't fully aware of what's going on), but I won't do it because the threat of prison time is enough of a negative EV situation to make it not worth it, especially when not cheating doesn't bring a huge opportunity cost, because I can make very good money without breaking the law. In a battle of wits like a poker game, if I get beaten by another man's ingenuity, regardless of its legality, I have to respect it even if I don't appreciate being victimized by it. It is that very respect that will drive me to find a different game, where I can win.
Old 08-17-2007, 04:42 AM

you're either incredibly dumb, a sociopath or an online troll seeking attention... and its certainly possible you're all three
Closed Thread