Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2007, 09:50 PM

Default Re: hidden opportunity?

Well, villain doesn't have an ace, and probably doesn't have a pp or jack, since he'd most likely check those behind. His hand really looks like a bluff (a big diamond, no pair), especially since you look incredibly weak here. Not sure if I'd make the call in the moment, but I don't think it is bad like people are saying.

PFR is fine, depending on the table conditions and stacks. Flop c-bet would obviously be terrible.

edit: villain could also have a 3. That seems like the only legit hand that could push river here besides a rivered set.
Old 08-16-2007, 09:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Curious as to what kind of responses you were looking for?

[/ QUOTE ]

i was looking for your type of response

the c-bet is not a good move because my pf raise: 1. apparently does not indicate heavy pf strength to the 2 who flat-called behind it (with hands that were not good enough to push behind it). 2. the board is draw heavy 3. the board is the type that could be scary to me, from their perpectives. 4. mp2 is low stacked in a big pot and will likely push with any decent hand or draw.

these factors combine to make it too likely that someone will push over my c-bet and i will be forced to fold, sometimes when i am ahead - and sometimes when i have odds to draw. therefore, a c-bet tells me nothing that i do not already know.

"Thinking like yours is what makes overbetting a good hand all in on the river a +EV move."

i absolutely agree. however, i don't think a smart value-push here is more likely than a bluff. certainly i can lose to a bluff anyway, but do i have pot odds to call? i thought i did. i believe i needed to win about 31% of the time to warrant call.
Old 08-16-2007, 10:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Because it seems to me routine fold there at the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is precisely why the hand is interesting...because on second thought, things are not as they "seem"