Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2007, 08:30 PM

Default Re: Need advice on 2 hands.

[ QUOTE ]
I cant help but comment on hand 1. Yes, raise that preflop but the turn check/fold is terrible. Hero must be the turn here. Being afraid of this overcard is mubsy until someone tells you they have it. Truth be told, hero should be betting the turn NO MATTER WHAT IT IS then playing poker from there.

Alex, if being worried about someone pairing everything an overcard falls to your pair is something you do alot then you need to keep an eye on that...it will cost you monies. Seriously, notice how the check, besides being wrong, also made the hand harder to play because you dont know what to do which is probably why you posted this hand, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly AussieBattler.

I realized how weak it was post play, and just wanted some advice on it, and greatly appreciate all the comments from everyone. Nick D, great response, thanks.

I realized post play that I should have raised, and bet into the Q on the turn.

You see, I played a ton of free money games, (I know, you can't compare the two), and bet a lot to gain information, and from playing about 1700 money hands, I realize that I need to sometimes check to gain information instead.

I know there have been hands where I have correctly, as a matter a fact, more often than not, bet into overcards with the lead, and then folding to raises or continued if just called.

I guess my point is, when do you check for information, as opposed to betting for information. I'm extremely neophyte when it comes to marginal BB situations.

i.e. I have Q9o, a few limp in and I check.

flop: 10,2,9.

My current thought is to bet into this, and fold if I get much resistance, but like I said, I don't really have a feel yet for playing these marginal situations.
Old 08-16-2007, 08:47 PM

Something to think about in a situation like hand one is what can the BB likely call with on the flop that is hit by the queen? The only real hands are QT, Q4, and Q3. Is he likely to be calling on the flop with just two overs? It's certainly possible that he did, and that's something to keep note of, but in all likelihood, the queen doesn't help him. And as Aussie pointed out, if you check, some people will be there with nothing, where as if you bet out, they have to respond to what you do, as opposed to vice versa.

Second hand is fine.
Old 08-17-2007, 02:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]

My current thought is to bet into this, and fold if I get much resistance, but like I said, I don't really have a feel yet for playing these marginal situations.

[/ QUOTE ]

Welcome to poker (not calling you a newb, just saying, things get difficult quickly). Instead of telling you what I think about this particular hand, I'll refer you to pgs. 122 thru 125 of SSHE. This'll give you a good idea (minus postion) of what to do with middle pair hands.

Thing is, you leave out the texture of the board in your post, so it is hard to say exactly what you should do.. Also, you do not tell us how many players you are up against. You tell us a few people limp in, but what are their limping standards? You see what I'm getting at?

It all just takes time, trust me. And I'm not even there yet! There are plenty of people on here that can tell you that! But the best thing to do is just to keep posting hands and keep discussing them.

The key is to discuss many different situations in depth.. you'll eventually come to one situation similar to one you've discussed and be able to make a quick decision in game. That's how you'll get better. So keep posting.

Nick
Old 08-17-2007, 02:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Alex, I hope realise that your K10s hand is much stronger on the flop. I only mention it because you need to be careful of trying to pigeonhole them into the same box.

TP2K on a flop with 2 low cards with good position >> 2P3K on drawy flop when out of position