Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-08-2006, 07:30 AM

Default Re: I need a good book

another roadside attraction - Tom robbins
Old 03-08-2006, 09:20 AM

Perfume by Patrik Suskind is a real cool read. They're making a movie of it so I'd try to read it before it comes out.
Old 03-08-2006, 10:01 AM

Here's another book by Joseph Heller: Picture This.

The book got little notice, but it is one of the most original books I have ever read. Really hard to describe these many years later, but definitely makes you think.

More recent: The Fallen. Another very original book. Tells the story from the Garden of Eden to Cain and Abel, only it does so in reverse order, with imagined conversations. Very thought-provoking.
Old 03-08-2006, 06:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Perfume by Patrik Suskind is a real cool read. They're making a movie of it so I'd try to read it before it comes out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, how long ago did that first come out in paperback (I'm guessing 20 years)? I read it back then, and at the time they were talking about what a great movie it would be. Sounds like they hit a few snags.
Old 03-08-2006, 08:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Wow, how long ago did that first come out in paperback (I'm guessing 20 years)? I read it back then, and at the time they were talking about what a great movie it would be. Sounds like they hit a few snags.

[/ QUOTE ]
Ha yeah I guess. Here's the IMDB link if your interested Perfume: The Story of a Murderer.
Old 03-08-2006, 09:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Cryptonomicon, by Neal Stephenson.

It's the only book I know of that can segue seamlessly between World War II cryptography and a detailed description on the proper way to eat Captain Crunch.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was going to suggest this. Amazing read -- once I was 10 pages into it I couldn't put it down. Stephenson 's Snowcrash is also brilliant, but Cryptonomicon is a masterpiece in storytelling, and I ain't using that word lightly. A Very Good Read.

If you're looking for something meatier, there are heavyweights like Joyce, Faulkner, and Pynchon, specifically Ulysses, The Sound and the Fury, and Gravity's Rainbow. These are all worthy reads.

[/ QUOTE ]

I loved Snow Crash, The Diamond Age, and Cryptonomicon. I tried to like Quicksilver and failed. There are two after that? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, after Cryptonomicon I devoured Snow Crash and was really psyched to read The Baroque Cycle, of which Quicksilver is the first volume. I tore through Quicksilver and then started the second volume, The Confusion, with a lot of energy, but began to lose heart as the story became more bizarre and uneven. I'm 200 pages short of finishing the final volume, The System of the World, but I may never finish it, as I've completely lost interest in the characters. I realize it's kinda silly to read 2500 pages of a 2700 page opus and stop just short of the conclusion, but I can sense where the book is going, and I'm in no hurry to get there. Oh, well...

Cryptonomicon and Snow Crash are still great reads, and books I would recommend to anyone who sees books as brain candy. As for The Baroque Cycle, I think Stephenson would have benefitted from a better editor.
Old 03-08-2006, 11:15 PM

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.
Went out and bought Catch 22, The Botany of Desire, and On the Genealogy of Morality by Freidrich Nietzsche (suggested by this girl im seeing).

The lady at the book store went on and on and on about how great of a book Catch 22 is so i will probably read that one first.
Feel free to post any more suggestions.
Old 03-08-2006, 11:35 PM

You really want a challenge? One word

Ulysses

James Joyce

Best novel ever

Up up?
Old 03-08-2006, 11:54 PM

I'll second Umberto Eco, but I didn't love The Island of the Day Before. The Name of the Rose, or Foucault's Pendulum were much better.

The Club Dumas, by Perez-Reverte was fantastic. Under no circumstances should you seen the movie it was made into, The Ninth Gate, which I firmly feel is the worst movie ever made.
Old 03-09-2006, 12:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]

You really want a challenge? One word

Ulysses

James Joyce

Best novel ever

Up up?

[/ QUOTE ]

from postsecret.com: