Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Golf
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2007, 09:32 PM

Default Who wants to explain the FedEx Cup

I kind of get it.........but still not really at all.

anyone want to explain it better than the pga tour does? b/c omg.
Old 08-15-2007, 10:24 PM

Default Re: Who wants to explain the FedEx Cup

Wiki explains it pretty well
Old 08-16-2007, 12:19 AM

wiki >>>>>>>>>>>&gt ; pgatour
Old 08-16-2007, 11:02 AM

Decent explanation here.

http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2007/...-why-should-i/

Horrible [censored] idea.
Old 08-16-2007, 11:38 AM

If I'm not misunderstanding this thing, it seems that the winner of the Tour Championship isn't necessarily the winner of this supposed playoff. And in a more extreme scenario, it's possible for someone to not play any of these "playoff" events and still end up with the "championship".

I don't really have a problem with having some sort of overall points race thing, but I guess I just don't see it as a "playoff". To me, playoffs always mean you have to win the final event to be declared the champion.
Old 08-16-2007, 01:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And in a more extreme scenario, it's possible for someone to not play any of these "playoff" events and still end up with the "championship".

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure this is possible. Care to explain?
Old 08-16-2007, 02:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
And in a more extreme scenario, it's possible for someone to not play any of these "playoff" events and still end up with the "championship".

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure this is possible. Care to explain?

[/ QUOTE ]
Again, I may not have a firm understanding of all the rules, but assume something like the following:

-someone have a huge points lead coming in to these "playoff" tournaments
-a variety of people win and place high in these final 4 tournaments, distributing the points enough to where no one ends up catching this initial leader

To be extreme, say player A has won every tournament up until now. Isn't it feasible that no one could catch that person in points after the final 4 tournaments?

Or are there so many points up for grabs in these final four tournaments that it's just mathematically impossible to end up with the points lead if you don't play?
Old 08-16-2007, 03:41 PM

Everyone is reseeded before the first event so that the top seed has something like a 15,000 point advantage over #144. Since winning an event gives 50,000 points, you do have to play to win.
Old 08-16-2007, 04:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Everyone is reseeded before the first event so that the top seed has something like a 15,000 point advantage over #144. Since winning an event gives 50,000 points, you do have to play to win.

[/ QUOTE ]
Ah, okay. I knew it was likely I didn't know something about the rules. This is good, as it will force people to play the events, at least.

If they want to call it a playoff, I think they should do something more like what the LPGA does with the ADT Championship. I just hate seeing it called a playoff and a championship when the winner of it all doesn't even have to win the final event.
Old 08-16-2007, 06:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No event gets you near 50K points as the winner. 50K represents the TOTAL points given out to the players in the playoff events. you win 9K for winning one of the 3 playoff events preceding the Tour Champoinship and 10,300 for the final event.

Also, the points are "reset" after this week with the #1 seed receiving 100K points and a sliding scale of decreasing points down to 84,700 for the 144th seed. Why the don't just award 0 to 15K points I have no idea, I guess they think bigger numbers create the illusion of more action or something (kind of like how they kept doubling the starting chips in the NBC HU poker but also doubling the blinds, effectively changing nothing but the number of chips in play as the tourny progressed).

Finally, yes, it is possible to win the Fed Ex Cup and not win the Tour Championship, its a points race. It doesn't hinge on the result of just the final event. That said I believe it is mathematically impossible to sit it out as the #1 seed and win. However, you could easily sit one or even two out provided you win the other 2 or 3 you play.