Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2007, 10:03 AM

Default First hand on the final table

Help me out here. I dont know what to do next time. Its the first hand on the final table of a multi table tournament. Nine players left and im on the SB with 17K short stacked. Next to me is the BB. Also with a short stack and just a little more than I have.

The blinds are 600/1200

All players fold to me on the small blind and i have 95 offsuite.

Now I want to make it to the top 3 or else im not satisfied, but im also short stacked. So im going to give not going to give my chips away. I need them more then anyone else. I am going to raise the big blind and I do so with a raise to 3.600 with my 95 offsuite.

Here comes: the BB calls my raise and we go to the flop, which is: 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
I am first to act and bet 3.600 and again the big blind just calls my bet.

The turn K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] , now i don't know if I do well by betting again 3.600 and leave myself with about 7K. The big blinds again only calls my bet.

The river is a blank. I bet again 3.600 and the big blind calls me again and i loose. What did I do wrong. Ill let you know what he had later in the post.

Help me out! What went wrong and why?
Old 08-15-2007, 10:25 AM

Default Re: First hand on the final table

[ QUOTE ]
Help me out here. I dont know what to do next time. Its the first hand on the final table of a multi table tournament. Nine players left and im on the SB with 17K short stacked. Next to me is the BB. Also with a short stack and just a little more than I have.

The blinds are 600/1200

All players fold to me on the small blind and i have 95 offsuite.

Now I want to make it to the top 3 or else im not satisfied, but im also short stacked. So im going to give not going to give my chips away. I need them more then anyone else. I am going to raise the big blind and I do so with a raise to 3.600 with my 95 offsuite.

Here comes: the BB calls my raise and we go to the flop, which is: 2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
I am first to act and bet 3.600 and again the big blind just calls my bet.

The turn K [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] , now i don't know if I do well by betting again 3.600 and leave myself with about 7K. The big blinds again only calls my bet.

The river is a blank. I bet again 3.600 and the big blind calls me again and i loose. What did I do wrong. Ill let you know what he had later in the post.

Help me out! What went wrong and why?

[/ QUOTE ]

Look, I admit I suck at this game, but I really hate this line.

First, even short-stacked, you're about to move into late position, so why the urgent need to steal here? You'll almost certainly have one or more better opportunities in the next three hands.

Second, if BB called a substantial bet pre-flop, do you really want to lead 3600 on that flop? Personally, I'd get out, unless you've seen BB lay down to CBets in the past. And if you're short-stacked (you don't say how short, BTW) andyou insist on betting and hope to represent, say, a medium pair, wouldn't you be better off shoving?

Third, if BB has now called substantial bets pre-flop and on the flop, why on earth would you expect him to fold to a much weaker bet (as a % of the pot) on the turn? If you hope to represent that K, on what basis?
Old 08-15-2007, 11:28 AM

this was a terrible play - no offense

1.) preflop - your raise for stealing the BB is too small - cause BB gets good odds (spec. if there were antes) and has position.

2.) i don't know if a c-bet on the flop is a very good idea, but it's a playable possibility. but after your c-bet was called you have to shut down.

3.) the turn bet is too weak and what so you represent with it. just check the turn and fold to any bet.

4.) what did you expect on the river - after villain has called all of your bets, that he folds with pot odds of 1:5?

this is exactly what harrington calls the "dark tunnel bluff" in HoH 2 - reread this passage and don't do it again ever.
Old 08-15-2007, 11:56 AM

Knowing if there are antes is very important. If there are no antes, I just fold. In this deparate situations, you would rather have a high card to shove, not 95. Q7 is the 50% hand and I would rather have K2off than JTs.

If the ante is the usual 200 for 600/1200 blinds then the pot is 3600 and you are on life support. Now the only consideration is all-in or fold. You probably have no history with BB since you just got to the final table. This works in your favour and BB will only call with a pretty good range which is probably less than 50% of hands.

However, you could also wait for button or CO to shove. Final tables tend to be tight at the start, nobody wants 9th so you have that going for you as well.

Your raise of 3600 is a value raise. Your hand has no value so that is your essential mistake.
Old 08-15-2007, 01:45 PM

This is a joke right?
Old 08-15-2007, 03:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is a joke right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Either this guy is absolutely hilarious or he is the worst poker player on earth. Either way I am laughing my butt off.
Old 08-15-2007, 03:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is a joke right?

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

It makes me laugh.

[img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

it makes me sad.

You tried something new and it didn't work. Chalk it up as a learning experience. I don't really have any particular advice for this hand because the entire thing sucks and I wouldn't know where to start. What I would do is lurk these threads for a while and read a lot on blind play (there are a TON of posts). When you start to more fully understand concepts like fold equity and selective raising (with a plan), slowly proceed toward making plays. But just raising because "I need to finish in the top three and there is no time but now" is a recipe for finishing well outside the top three.

Barry
Old 08-15-2007, 03:21 PM

What are the antes?
Old 08-16-2007, 04:44 AM

Ante is 200

And thanks for all the responce. I thought I was doing allright, but reading the replies I need more practice. Thanks for the advice guys!