Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2007, 01:35 PM

Default Re: Poker \"Pros\" Play Good

[ QUOTE ]
it really sucks that poker isnt treated more like a serious sport like the way europe treats poker and theyre sports.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's funny because from all I have heard (I don't watch a lot of TV poker), the EPT final tables are generally a higher standard, and are well produced with an emphasis on the poker rather than external BS.

The problem with it is that every episode it's 8 different players, and while they may well be good players, there's no way the audience can build up any rapport with individual players. American TV poker shows have realised that it is absolutely necessary to perpetuate the myth that there is an "elite" group of players who are far superior to the rest even though this is patently not the case to anyone who understands the game. They do everything they can to continue focusing on the same players, from invitational events to selecting which WSOP finals to televise once the final table line-up is apparent, all the way through to changing the rules to ensure that Hellmuth made the broadcast in the $3000 NL.

This is why Humberto keeps getting the airtime while Travis Rice, for example as noted in a thread in the TV forum, doesn't. It's why a lot of other [censored] happens as well. Best not to worry about it. Unfortunately, if airtime is really what you want, think up some gimmick (the more annoying the better) and overplay it to death. I think there's some mileage in wearing a sock puppet, you can have that one on me. It's best not to worry about it and accept that the most well-known players are often the ones who do the most self-promotion. And even then, because we're all so caught up in poker, I think a lot of us over-estimate how well-known these players really are to the general public.
Old 08-15-2007, 03:25 PM

at least these guys arent bluffin like ivey
Old 08-15-2007, 07:22 PM

These tournament donks haven't a goddamn clue. All these TV supastar poker celebrities are pathetic. They confuse me, the hands they check behind , the hands they bet, the call downs the reraises, the limps. It's awful. Shannon Elizabeth and Jennifer Tilly are considered professional poker players now,lollllllllllll.......lolllllllllllllllllllllll l.
Old 08-15-2007, 07:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You've probably seen it, but if you haven't, please watch it and ask yourself: "How is it I am not incredibly wealthy?"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zwyv2...ed&search=

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-15-2007, 08:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You've probably seen it, but if you haven't, please watch it and ask yourself: "How is it I am not incredibly wealthy?"

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, this is beautiful, shiny GOLD I tellya!!
Old 08-15-2007, 08:42 PM

lol @ vanusso
Old 08-15-2007, 09:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL, The game theory expert herself! She knows a flush is better than a straight and big cards are good..hahaha
Old 08-15-2007, 09:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

A+++++++
Old 08-15-2007, 09:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
These tournament donks haven't a goddamn clue. All these TV supastar poker celebrities are pathetic. They confuse me, the hands they check behind , the hands they bet, the call downs the reraises, the limps. It's awful. Shannon Elizabeth and Jennifer Tilly are considered professional poker players now,lollllllllllll.......lolllllllllllllllllllllll l.

[/ QUOTE ] <font color="blue"> </font>

Yea, it really is a shame that they are considered pros. Look, at that level it is all about who has the money. Heck, if I was a multi-millionaire, I would be playing in those events too. Hell, I would probably be considered a pro. I am starting to hate the whole NL Hold Em' tourney thing. At first it was cool, but now that every donk seems to win a tourney and are considered pros, it is not even fun to watch. I just want to hear the stories of how they lost all their winnings in the year following the big wins.