Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Do You believe the video?
No, Of Course not. 13 81.25%
Yes, I am clinically retarded. 3 18.75%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-14-2007, 07:52 PM

Default Re: ONE MONTH OF NL POKER IN FLORIDA

[ QUOTE ]
I disagree, as I find the HR very effective in getting hands in.

If you think they are bad, try any other venue in the Tampa area.

[/ QUOTE ]

Played 'em all [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

But you're right to a degree....HR has a handful of decent dealers and their decent dealers are better than the other area decent dealers, but overall, they need to SHUT the F'up, quit watching tv, and focus on the game, that'd at least help. But again, same rules of ecomnomics apply, why change when the lemmings comply [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 08-14-2007, 07:58 PM

I find the HR dealers to be very good as a whole compared to those of other Tampa venues.

I tend to like the majority of dealers though......no matter the venue.
Old 08-15-2007, 12:41 AM

Default 5/10 NL Seminole trip report

5/10 NL Time Charge Seminole Hard Rock: $8/30 minutes
Sounds crazy, but true.

Crazy variance, a few idiots, some decent players (above average, and are probably winning right now, but will get crushed if/when FL games tighten up), and no experts in the 8 hours that I played. 7PM - 3 AM Mon PM.

Bring at least $1500 as when you push with 10 BBs, you may get 4+callers and may need to dig deep before you get that stack to $1000 where it belongs.

Stuck $413 in that session.

Potted 12 outer into field on the flop, missed, shoved the turn, missed, bye bye $400. Rebuy $100.

Called my last $130 on the turn getting 4.85ish to 1 on my outside straight draw on rainbow unpaired board, missed, no $700 pot for me, rebuy $100.

Last hand, $320 pot with AQo all preflop v J9o, Jacks and nines beat Ace high. Must be at work in 6 hours, so go home to bed.

Hit gas station for 2 $5 Texas Hold Em lottery tickets while getting smokes on the way back, hit 2 outer, win $100.

Stuck $323 on the night.

Try to post results on 2+2 Mon night, fall asleep while typing.
Old 08-15-2007, 12:48 AM

Default Re: 5/10 NL Seminole trip report

Oh, yeah, saw KK unimproved take $12-1600ish off of AJo on a Jack high board. Limp, caller bets 75 on flop, PF rzr makes 250, AJ minickrzd KT2r flop to 500, shoved turn 7. Sure looked like a set.

KK Caller was some tournament donkey that finished 4th or 5th in the WSOP a year or few ago, he claimed.

I think he neede to make it at least 750 on the turn to get some fold equity, but thats just me.

Oh, and Eddie Jones played for a while and was better than expected.
Old 08-15-2007, 05:47 PM

Hey Warlock you were there when I was there the other night.
Some of the guys at my table left to go play in the 5/10 game that just opened. They were straight up gamblers. One guy showed 3-4 bluffs in about 30 minutes at the 1/2 table. He would bet 30 into a $10 pot. He rebought 2-3 times while i was there. LOL He was later busted in the 5/10 game. Anyway I heard that the 5/10 was Yahtzee.

I had my worst night by far. I caught absolutely no cards and the table I was on there was a lot of raising and re raising. Still time charge and all I was only down 10 bucks.

Even with the time rake these games are definitely profitable. In the 1-2 game one guy had 900 bucks in front of him. He won half of it on a ridiculous hand that he practically wore his AA around his neck yet still had 2 callers. One called off 300+ the other 100+. He was playing just downright stupid. Raising people to 80 bucks in unraised pots, telegraphing hands etc shame I never got a hand to challenge him except a few hands he called off 20-30 bucks.

I see tons of regulars (they have to be they all know each other) come to a table and proceed to buy in 100 a couple of times lose and then leave. I have no earthly idea how they are regulars.

I think because of how touristy S. Florida is and that the max buy in is only $100 that it will be a long time before these games dry up. They are eerily similar to how Party used to be except with a higher rake.
Old 08-15-2007, 09:01 PM

how are the $1/2 games, and what are the rakes for these games? I plan on playing them in Tampa this coming week
Old 08-15-2007, 09:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
how are the $1/2 games, and what are the rakes for these games? I plan on playing them in Tampa this coming week

[/ QUOTE ]

10% with a maximim of $5.00

Most places also take out $1 for various jackpot promos.

Sarasota and the Tampa Downs use a time rake of $5 per half hour.
Old 08-15-2007, 09:15 PM

TGHound stopped the $6.00 per 1/2 hr rake at the request of the players. While many of the dealers are new (including me)they were trained for 12 weeks by some of the best people in the business. If you balance the rake over time most will see that a timed rake is not as bad as it seems. With it the pressure is on us to perform so as not to upset our customers. Give us newbies a fair shake and you will see that we if nothing else are consistent in our rules and regs, and that we (dealers and management) all play from the same handbook. That is something you may not get at other venues. That is not a knock on other places. I hear things while dealing. Most complaints are that decisions are not consistent. If nothing else, you get that at TGHound.
Old 08-15-2007, 11:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Apparently the dealers can't sustain an average of 20 hands an hour otherwise there'd be no need to switch to a time charge. What insults me the most is that while we're paying the time charge we're also paying for dealer trays to be restocked every 5 hands and players to rebuy every few hands they play. I'd be okay with the time charge if it weren't for the fact that most of the dealers are incapable of running the game smoothly coupled with the constant need to replenish either players stacks or dealer trays.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's one of the reasons I go to Gulfstream. They're the only room I'm aware of that the dealers carry their own trays. No need to waste 2 minutes each dealer change to count trays. They pop theirs in and off you go. Add other pros like free valet parking, rarely more than a 5 minute wait for any game, whole building is smoke free, most beautiful poker room in South Florida and $1 beers and 25 cent chicken wings.

Now that Hard Rock has gone to timed rake, I doubt I'll ever step foot to play poker in there again. That sealed the deal for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was at Gulfstream today and decided to count the number of hands. I was playing 2/4 limit, played for 2 hours, 15 minutes and was dealt exactly 36 hands. And that's even with dealers who don't have to count out their tray at every shift like at the other places. What slowed things down? These things happened at least once during that time: new players buying chips at the table when they sit, dealers chatting with players during the hand instead of keeping the action moving, dealing players into the hand when they're away from the table and waiting for them to sit back down to take their action, waiting for players to hang up their cell phone when the action is to them, one dealer granting a player's request for a rabbit hunt, one dealer continually losing track of the button movement and having to stop and figure it out.
Old 08-16-2007, 12:03 AM

So people are really playing 5/10 with an $8 time charge and $100 max buy?