Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2007, 05:58 PM

Default Beginner AA, KK, AK.

Seems I've been tested quite a but lately with AA, KK, AK.
Here's a few examples.

Any opinions?

(1)

1) PokerStars 0.50/1.00 Hold'em (10 handed) Hand History converter Courtesy of PokerZion.com

Preflop: Hero is CO with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button calls, SB calls, BB calls, MP3 calls.

Flop: (10 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button folds, SB folds, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, MP3 folds, Hero ?

(2)

PokerStars 0.50/1.00 Hold'em (8 handed) Hand History converter Courtesy of PokerZion.com

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (6.50 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 calls, BB calls.

Turn: (4.75 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, Hero?

(3)

PokerStars 0.50/1.00 Hold'em (10 handed) Hand History converter Courtesy of PokerZion.com

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop: (6 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB folds, BB calls.

Turn: (4 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls.

River: (6 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, Hero folds.

Is betting turn/river here correct? Checking gives villain free cards to the flush?

Final Pot: 9 BB

(4)

PokerStars 0.50/1.00 Hold'em (9 handed) Hand History converter Courtesy of PokerZion.com

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, MP1 calls.

Flop: (5.50 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 calls.

Turn: (3.75 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP1 checks, Hero checks.

River: (3.75 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 4.75 BB

Is there any opinions on whether or not it's smart, or if anyone out there does this, to critique my play real time?

Thanks.
Old 08-15-2007, 06:31 PM

Default Re: Beginner AA, KK, AK.

I'm not primarily a limit player and I assume this is limit.

1) I call. Then I call turn and river bets and hope to see TT-KK or even A9.

2) Call and call a river bet.

3) I check behind on the turn. Check behind on the river.

4} Fine until the river. This is a tough one. Just go on instinct. You do still beat some hands and a bluff.
Old 08-15-2007, 06:42 PM

1) Cap the flop. If he continues the aggression on the turn then I might slow down.

2) In the BB he could certainly have a 5. But unless you know that he wouldn't raise without the 5, I just call him down.

3) Turn bet depends on the opponent - if he's one that will fold to a second barrel, go ahead and fire. If he'll call down with bottom pair, then just give up. There's absolutely no reason to bet the river - he's not folding if he called the turn bet.

4) There are enough players that will fire with air on the river if you check through on the turn that I make the call here. They figure you don't have anything and will give up.
Old 08-15-2007, 07:40 PM

FIRST RULE OF BEGINNER AA IS NEVER NEVER FOLD. WITH KK NEVER FOLD PREFLOP.
Old 08-15-2007, 07:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Umm, never fold AA?

Can you elaborate?
Old 08-15-2007, 08:11 PM

at these levels you are playing they will prob just play top pair hard.

Unless there is 4 kind suit on the board but you will might be to commited to pot then I would fold.

Also if there is a 2 outer straight like a 4567K board u could fold or try minize betting, it all goes down to situation.

You can limpraise AA KK on agressive table if you are early mid position. well i need to go now, you prob didnt get what i sai or i wasnt clear, got to focus on tables
Old 08-15-2007, 08:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Umm, never fold AA?

Can you elaborate?

[/ QUOTE ]
By the time you get scared with your AA, it is the flop and the pot is pretty big (that's why you always raise with AA pf).

So the math says that you should call down two more bets rather than fold. The times you come across KK, QQ or TPTK will outweigh the times you are beat (percentage-wise with the size of the pot and cost of seeing a showdown taken into account).

As you become a more accomplished player, you can increase your earnings by folding AA at the right time. As a beginner, folding it at the wrong time is a freakin disaster that will take hours to overcome.

From a math perspective, let's say the pot is currently 10 big bets when the flop betting is done. You check/call for two more big bets. You only need to win 2/12 or one in six times for this to be correct.
Old 08-15-2007, 08:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Umm, never fold AA?

Can you elaborate?

[/ QUOTE ]
By the time you get scared with your AA, it is the flop and the pot is pretty big (that's why you always raise with AA pf).

So the math says that you should call down two more bets rather than fold. The times you come across KK, QQ or TPTK will outweigh the times you are beat (percentage-wise with the size of the pot and cost of seeing a showdown taken into account).

As you become a more accomplished player, you can increase your earnings by folding AA at the right time. As a beginner, folding it at the wrong time is a freakin disaster that will take hours to overcome.

From a math perspective, let's say the pot is currently 10 big bets when the flop betting is done. You check/call for two more big bets. You only need to win 2/12 or one in six times for this to be correct.

[/ QUOTE ]

I understand what you're saying.

Hand (1) i fold thinking caller hits a set.

Hand (2) Turn I bet, raise, and call villains raise.

River villain checks, I bet, he calls.

Pot 15.25 my net loss 6.50
[img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]