FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2007, 11:43 PM

Default FTOPS Sat to ME (75$): AQo, facing a pf-raise

Full Tilt Poker
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $15/$30
8 players
Converter

Pre-flop: (8 players) Hero is MP1 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
UTG folds, <font color="#cc0000">UTG+1 raises to $90</font>, Hero calls, 3 folds, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop: A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ($360, 4 players)
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#cc0000">UTG+1 bets $210</font>, Hero calls, SB calls, BB calls.

Turn: T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ($1200, 4 players)
SB checks, BB checks, UTG+1 checks, Hero checks.

River: J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ($1200, 4 players)
<font color="#cc0000">SB bets $400</font>, BB folds, UTG+1 calls, Hero folds.

Results:
Final pot: $2000

Any comments are greatly appreciated!

Thanks, Tackleberry.
Old 08-15-2007, 05:30 AM

Default Re: FTOPS Sat to ME (75$): AQo, facing a pf-raise

Sorry for bumping this - I´m really keen on hearing what you are thinking of my line.

My thoughts were as following. Preflop I just called to not blow up the pot. I think that´s ok.

On the flop UTG+1 (on which I had no reads as it was very early in the tourney) bets into three opponents with an A showing on the flop (ok, admitted that two already checked but this has not much to say imho as Villain was the aggressor) after having raised preflop from early position! That could mean AK, AQ, AJ maybe even JJ, to a lesser degree KKU/QQ as I expected him to check then, I´m not sure if he would have raised AT preflop. So I only beat KK, QQ and weaker Aces here which all are not much likely.

Nevertheless everybody calls!! That confused me completely. What could SB and BB have here? Maybe both sat on a draw - or on a weaker ace. So I check the turn again as I´m not sure to have the best hand here. The diamond does not scare me.

On the river SB suddenly bets 1/3 pot size - and is called again by UTG+1. I did not dare to overcall here as now every J beats me, every AK, AT, AJ beats me, AQ just splits and KQ made a straight.

I think (hope), a fold is correct here?

Any thoughts would be welcome! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-15-2007, 05:39 AM

I fold to the flop bet. He's betting into three opponents and with the J on the flop as well, there's not many hands you're ahead of. In some occasions, Villain might bet KK here, but it's AK or AJ more often.
Old 08-15-2007, 07:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Sorry for bumping this - I´m really keen on hearing what you are thinking of my line.
Any thoughts would be welcome! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, you're likely a much better player than I, but if you're so keen to hear thoughts...

It would be nice to have a read on PF raiser. If I am in UTG1, your AQo does very poorly against my raising range (TT+, AJs+, AQo+, KQs--I am limping 22+ and SCs 89+). So I would fold pre-flop unless you think that I'm a total nit and that his range is a lot wider (pokerstove says that you get 51% against 77+,A9s+,KJs+,ATo+,KQo).

Having missed the flop and facing a bet into a mult-way pot, I am gone for sure.

Actually, that's a total lie. I know I should be gone for sure, but in actual fact I stick around and lose a lot of chips. Yesterday, I had a similar situation. I was chip leader at the final table of a 10/45. Against my (much) better judgment, I called a tight (18/12) pre-flop raiser with AJs. I whiffed the flop (3 low cards), raised a substantial flop bet, and got crushed by KK. So I got what I deserved. The only thing I can say in my own defense is that my wife was bugging me to log off and put the kids to bed.
Old 08-15-2007, 07:55 AM

Yeah I would fold preflop, besides the fact that we have an UTG-raiser it also bothers me that there are so many people are left to act behind me (following Harrington here). I might call with AQo on the button though. Because two people checked it is legitimate to bet here with KK or QQ for the preflopraiser representing the ace; besides you hit your ace what other things could you hoped for? I would raise it up to 400 with the flushdraw and gutshotdraws out there and see what villain does and if there are coldcallers.
Old 08-15-2007, 08:18 AM

Such a crappy spot... But given that it was checked to you on the turn I think I bet it there. I would be prone to thinking one guy has KT, KJ, the other FD, the original raiser retardedly bet KK or QQ on the flop. Can not imagine a made hand checking that turn with three people in the hand. I think we are good on the turn, obv no good on the river.
Old 08-15-2007, 09:25 AM

pf - probably a fold, espec in a sat.

post - nh
Old 08-15-2007, 10:06 AM

I'm fine with check/calling to river. Sats benefit calling stations. You don't need to extract max value from every hand, just minimize losses and maximize the nuts.

Think of Sats like limit, where you play the small bets, not large pots.