FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2007, 03:56 PM

Default Re: 77 Overpair + Gutshot

folds
Old 08-14-2007, 04:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
He should have raised you on the flop with an overpair or a set.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe he should have, but I have lost big stacks numerous times with exactly this type of hand when he didn't. What always happens is that my flop bet is big enough to make him happy just to call. Then on the turn, I am faced with the choice to fire a second barrel (often in the presence of an overcard) or not, this time in the 1k range. If I fire, I am often min-raised, offering me really good odds on a really ugly situation. If I don't, the pot is lost, potentially to a bluff. Yuk.

I agree that having failed to improve, we should keep this pot small, maybe getting a free look at a set on the turn or river.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I admit I am surprised sometimes when someone shows down a hand they should have played differently, but don't we tend to remember more the hands when we were unpleasantly surprised (especially when it knocks us out) and forget about the hands when we were pleasantly surprised (like the donk raised with nothing but a gutshot.). You also have a few outs in this hand yourself, even if it is not best and the pot is already big.
Old 08-14-2007, 04:55 PM

I thought about it and yeah, there is not a single hand you beat here. A flush draw likely just calls again or raises the flop. Your usually beat by a boat here.

Up until this point I like how you played it.
Old 08-14-2007, 05:14 PM

i can fold the turn here.

77 is not a monster. in a 5 handed pot you need to be careful with a board of all low cards and a small over pair. You can certainly still be up against an over pair. Its certainly possible that a set decided to allow a flush draw to peel one more card. Its certainly possible he flopped the nut straight. You are now up against the best of 4 hands of junk on a junky board, and your 77 is behind. We tried to hit our straight, we tried to get our implied odds on a set, and now were just, behind.