Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2007, 02:46 PM

Default Re: Not Using Car Insurance After an Accident

cbloom - maybe you should have called him the next day or something to keep him from getting paranoid?

My thing with my guy got kind of dragged out and I admit I got a little bit nervous.

No big deal if he changes his mind and gets a little paranoid that you won't pay up and decides to go through insurance.

I think my guy would have understood if I had done that as well. He was super-grateful I let him pay the cash.
Old 08-14-2007, 02:47 PM

If you get rear ended, your insurance will not go up.
Old 08-14-2007, 02:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

My advice: Screw her - cover your own ass. It's not your problem. You work hard to pay for your insurance and make sure that you are responsible. She should do the same or not get behind the wheel. Let her insurance company (if she is even insured) do it's job.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are the scum of the earth and contribute to the massive scam that is car insurance.

I touched some guy's car once, gave him all my info and told him I'd just pay him cash, he agrees and he's all nice to me and everything. A few days later I get a call from my insurance company saying the accident was reported to them. I never took down his info, I wish I had so I could find him and beat the [censored] out of him.

[/ QUOTE ]

So because some guy doesn't help you conceal information from your ins. co. (information, btw, that would cause them to correctly raise your rates), he's the one contributing to the massive scam?
Old 08-14-2007, 03:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
cbloom - maybe you should have called him the next day or something to keep him from getting paranoid?

My thing with my guy got kind of dragged out and I admit I got a little bit nervous.

[/ QUOTE ]

He was supposed to get an estimate and call me with the amount. It was only like 3 days later when the insurance called me, he must have called them almost right away.

I mean if the person isn't paying then sure report to the insurance, but if I'm going to give you the same amount in cash then don't be a prick. Whatever. I hope all you pricks get the same treatment from others.

In OP's case with the woman being insane if she doesn't just pay up and shut up I'd go to the insurance to avoid dealing with her.

The whole idea that I pay all this money for car insurance and then when I actually have an accident I have to just pay out of pocket cuz it's cheaper is so freaking ridiculous it makes me so mad. The next time I meet someone who works for an insurance company I'm gonna just punch them in the face.
Old 08-14-2007, 03:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I hope all you pricks get the same treatment from others.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, we're huge [censored] pricks for not going out of our way to do something that's hugely -EV for us to help a person we don't know.
Old 08-14-2007, 03:11 PM

again how is it "hugely -EV"??

if you don't get the money, insurance time baby!
Old 08-14-2007, 03:12 PM

I wonder if you have a responsibility to inform your insurance company of any accident that you get into. Even if it is the other guys fault.

The only downside that I can imagine is that crazy lady offers to pay, turns out that she balks, and then when you go to your insurance company they say, "Sorry, you needed to report it within 24h, no coverage for you. Plus, we are going to cancel your ass for breaking the conditions of your insurance agreement".

That would be the only thing that i would worry about.

Well, besides the possiblity that the crazy lady hit you cuz she was stalking you, and now she has your phone number, and address...but what are the odds.
Old 08-14-2007, 03:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The whole idea that I pay all this money for car insurance and then when I actually have an accident I have to just pay out of pocket cuz it's cheaper is so freaking ridiculous it makes me so mad. The next time I meet someone who works for an insurance company I'm gonna just punch them in the face.

[/ QUOTE ]
LOL, bolded part is awesome.

Homer, why is settling it without insurance hugely, as you poker kids like to say, -EV? I've yet to understand the downside of this, and could empathize with the person and their situation.

The first week I got my license I softly rear-ended some old effers. We decided to do the off the insurance thing so mine didn't go through the roof, and honestly I think they gouged me (like $400 for no noticeable damage, something about I busted a gasket which makes no sense whatsoever), but it still made sense.

A few years later a guy hit me who was driving without his lights on at night. He felt terrible and asked that I not report it to his insurance. No problem. I'm not even sure if I got it fixed to be honest, may have just pocketed the estimate cash.
Old 08-14-2007, 03:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
again how is it "hugely -EV"??

if you don't get the money, insurance time baby!

[/ QUOTE ]

i tried to be nice once and sort things out without insurance and after trying to contact the person for a couple days finally gave up and reported it to the insurance company. turns out she had canceled her insurance in the time between the accident and then. it was a huge hassle to get everything resolved.

i really don't see why people like cbloom think people are pricks for not going out of their way to do a favor for a random person. sure, it's a nice thing to do, but it should not be expected and it is certainly more of a pain in the ass than just going straight to the insurance company.
Old 08-14-2007, 03:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
LOL, bolded part is awesome.

Homer, why is settling it without insurance hugely, as you poker kids like to say, -EV? I've yet to understand the downside of this, and could empathize with the person and their situation.

The first week I got my license I softly rear-ended some old effers. We decided to do the off the insurance thing so mine didn't go through the roof, and honestly I think they gouged me (like $400 for no noticeable damage, something about I busted a gasket which makes no sense whatsoever), but it still made sense.

A few years later a guy hit me who was driving without his lights on at night. He felt terrible and asked that I not report it to his insurance. No problem. I'm not even sure if I got it fixed to be honest, may have just pocketed the estimate cash.

[/ QUOTE ]

if someone hits me and i report it to my insurance company my rates don't go up and i'm out no money.

if i don't report and try to settle things directly with the person who hit me there are a number of ways i can get screwed.

again, it's nice to do things under the table to help someone out, but i'm no longer willing to take such a risk to help a stranger. if i was 100% sure everything would work out fine, i'd gladly settle things one-on-one.