Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2007, 11:22 PM

Default Moving Up

I'm not so sure if this is a beginners question, but it asks the advice of more experienced players than I:

Should I challenge a game higher than I'm used to even if it means a lower hourly wage than I expect at lower levels.

For example, most advice for moving up in limits (I'm talking about ten-handed NL) is to start with at least 20 buyins, move up when you have 30 and move down when you have less than 20.

Currently, I'm playing at a level where my bankroll is just over 280 buyins. Obviously that's enough to move up... the problem is, when I move up just one level, my winrate goes from 36bb/hour to 6bb/hour. I suppose the sample might not be large enough - about 16k hands at the higher level - but I hate "wasting" my time at a higher level when I could be making three times as much if I moved back down.

Anyone have this problem at some point, and if so, how did you end up dealing with it?

I guess I'm also wondering... is it unusual to find such a difference in winrates between successive levels?
Old 08-13-2007, 11:32 PM

Default Re: Moving Up

do you maintain the same aggression rating when you move up?
games dont change that much - sounds like you do
Old 08-13-2007, 11:35 PM

I read something once where it said anything above 5% is an action-junkie and anything less than 1% has a psycological disorder in avoiding risk. =) .... 1 out of 280 is less than 1%.

Honestly, it all comes down to game selection. If I see a really weak and loose game below my limit, I may jump in there. If I see a weak and loose game above my normal limit, I may give it a try. If you have the bankroll.... chase the fish.

I really can't say more without looking at how you play. It could be possible that you are playing too tight when you move up and are unable to capitalize on some winnings.
Old 08-14-2007, 12:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
36bb/hour to 6bb/hour. I suppose the sample might not be large enough - about 16k hands at the higher level

[/ QUOTE ]

There's just no way your winrate will vary so much between two levels. Where are you making 36bb/hour (how many tables?) ?? PT stats would help here.
Old 08-14-2007, 01:39 AM

Theres no way that 36bb/hour is sustainable for very long. Maybe at 4NL. maybe. Is that a typo or do you really have 280 buyins. You either need to cash out a bunch or move up several levels
Old 08-14-2007, 02:57 AM

I've sustained 36bb/hour at the limit I'm currently at for a few months, but I'm multitabling, and included rakeback, so if I calculate that to be about 10bb/100hands if that sounds more reasonable.

I tried moving from that limit to one higher, started getting unlucky - flopped full houses that didn't survive the river - and started playing maybe a little more aggressivley because I wasn't making much money, and I thought that was my problem.

I played for an entire month (90hrs) like that at the higher limit, and still only averaged about 6bb/hour (approx. 2bb/100hands).

So obviously from what I'm hearing, I should take another shot up.

I haven't noticed a step up in levels before this one, but this time it seems much different, it may be mental.

As Smartbugger says, I may have a psychological disorder about risk that I am having trouble overcoming in order to be successful.
Old 08-14-2007, 12:14 PM

OK that makes sense if we're talking multitabling and rakeback.

If you're doing this well at your limit and you've built up such a big bankroll, I guarantee you are losing money by NOT moving up sooner. 90 hours of play is a good sized shot... but did you feel completely comfortable playing your new limit the whole time?

If the risk bothers you, remember you have like 140 buy-ins for the new limit (assuming the stakes are doubled)!