Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Full Ring
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2007, 04:21 PM

Default Re: 5-10 PL - Flush hits on river and Villain bets it

[ QUOTE ]
I don't see why you would check the flop here. I assume you think you are in front here, and that that his most problable holding is the flush draw. So what you do with checking is giving away a free card what you definetely don't want here, right? Even if you knew he had an A with a weaker kicker, you wouldn't want him to draw for free to the miracle card.
Turn bet only possibility here IMO...

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't understand your post. No one suggested me checking the flop. Someone asked about checking the turn once the flop bet was called. I then addressed the reasons why I decided to bet the turn.
Old 08-13-2007, 04:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As played, I think you have to call on the end and hate it.

I think a pot sized bet works better on the flop. It lets you move in on the turn. You sat down with 60BB and the villain has 50BB or so. Seems that this is the flop you were looking for. You're ahead enough to want to get it all in on the turn when he checks to you.

[/ QUOTE ]

This certainly works out better if you think they will call the flop bet with a draw.

bionion, why not bet more on the flop to get it in on the turn?
Old 08-13-2007, 05:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
binions, why not bet more on the flop to get it in on the turn?

[/ QUOTE ]

1. If I bet 100 on the flop and 300 on the turn, that's only 450 each. He had over 500 to start the hand. I don't think I could pot pot and get it all in.

2. Some people advocate betting pot on a drawy board, while betting 1/2 to 2/3 pot on a dry board. Some people advocate betting pot all the time. For me, I have a (bad) habit of betting 2/3-3/4 pot no matter what the situation. It probably stems from all the c-betting I have done in tournaments and 6max online games. When you c-bet a lot, you want to bet the least possible to get a fold.

I usually give the other player about 2.5:1 on my bets - enough for them to make a mistake by calling on all but the biggest of draws, but not so much to make them fold their draws.

I probably need to think more about the proper size bet I should be making in every hand.
Old 08-13-2007, 06:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Also, can I hear some thoughts on checking the turn?

[/ QUOTE ]

If the effective stack was deeper, I would check the turn here for pot control. But when I get an SPR of ~5 going into the flop, hit my hand, and cross the commitment threshold on the flop against a check-call on a drawy board, I am going to fire again on a blank turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now that you say it that way [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Yeah.
Old 08-13-2007, 06:19 PM

Sorry, my bad! I was talking about checking the turn,what you asked for in one of your posts. Don't know what I screwed up there! Again, sorry!
Old 08-14-2007, 01:59 AM

I have run into some crazy "bluff" bets in live poker too. Until you see them play well, you have to call down these strange plays I think at this limit.