Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2007, 02:36 AM

Default Re: Weight Loss Challenge. I want YOU! (fat ass)

Good luck, GG. You've done a hell of a job so far.
Old 08-13-2007, 02:41 AM

26 years old, 5'9" 215 lbs. I've never watched my diet.

I eat too large of portions, especially at restaurants. I know some strategies and tricks to stop overeating but I never follow them. Currently cannot do much exercise due to injury.

Anyways, I think 20 pounds is a good initial goal, by Halloween or so. It would bring me under 200 lbs which would give me a psychological boost to keep going. Also, it would keep me less fat than Dids.

I need to ask for a to-go box when I order out at restaurants. At home I need to eat more natural foods such as meats + veggies and less processed crap like breads/tortillas/cheese/chips/snacks. Packing lunch to work is also a major change that I need to make, both for money savings and health. Snacking while sitting idle at home (watching tv or internetting) needs to be cut out. Anybody else have any good tips to cut down on losing weight?

EDIT: Am open to a small wager.
Old 08-13-2007, 03:55 PM

Bump for this hopefully going somewhere.
Old 08-13-2007, 05:52 PM

I am in!!
This is perfect timing as I was just starting this on my own. A little accountability should help all of us.

- what stakes?
- do we go by bf, lbs lost, % of weight lost, tape measurements? let us know what you think
- do we post daily, weekly, whenever.

I kinda think we post daily to keep eachother in check. If we use a formula that mens health uses we can each post our goals now in terms of something like this...we will use 100 days since there are 100ish days until Thanksgiving

I want to eat healthily 75/100 days
I want to weight train 50/100 days
I want to do cardio 30/100 days

and then post every day with something lke goal#1 23/75
goal#2 10/50
goal#3 6/30

this is just a thought and someting i will be doing regardless. I just am throwning this out there if anyone else has ideas please post. these are my goals by the way as well as goal #4 get down to 200, then the real work begins.

30/m 5'9" 235lbs.
Old 08-13-2007, 10:26 PM

Hey guys, my compulsive organizational nature couldn't take it any more so I'm gonna try to start us off with setting this awesomeness up. So here's a few of the main questions I think need to be decided.

1. What stakes are we playing for here?
2. What info needs to be provided to make sure we keep it fair (pics, pics of scale, etc)?
3. How do we organize who wins? (% lost, lbs lost, %fat lost)?
4. How many winners do we have? (one, top 10% ala donkaments, etc)
5. How long does this last? (100 days, halloween, christmas, etc)

My personal thoughts:
1. This may be the most difficult to decide on. We definitely don't want anyone to feel like they're putting up money they actually need or eliminate folks from teh competition because it's too expensive. On the other hand, if the amount is too small, it's not an incentive at all.

2. This kinda depends on question one. Obviously if we play for $3 there isn't nearly as much incentive to cheat. I would think starting pics and final pics would be enough. I tend to be overly trusting on this kind of thing, so I'm not particularly concerned about it, but I realize others might want some sort of assurance they aren't getting ripped off.

3. I'd strongly lean toward % of lbs lost here. Body fat % measurements, especially done at home, are rather inaccurate. However we do it, the bigger guys will have a small advantage, but I think % of lbs lost minimizes this.

4. I'll throw out an idea that I'm kinda fond of, but others may hate. I'd like to form groups of 3-5 people and have teams compete against each other. This gives you a built in buddy system and makes you responsible to others. The winning team could split 50% of the total prize, with the top 2 individual losers or something splitting the other 50%. You could even have the team competition be optional where you put in a main wager for the individual competition and have a side bet running separately for the team competition. Kinda going back to #3, you could also pay out top % lb lost and top total pounds lost.

5. I'm rather partial to the idea of the competition ending around thanksgiving. 3 months is plenty of time to see real results but short enough that the end is in sight. Plus the holiday's can be rough on the waistline and getting a great headstart on that would help us all out.

Sorry this is so long. Please, throw out any other questions you guys think are important and any ideas you have. If OP doesn't mind, I'll put up a poll on Wednesday with the most important specifics so we can get a consensus (or not if there seems to be an overwhelming majority already). Then let's plan on a start date of Sunday Aug 19.

Sorry, don't mean to be a bossy asshat, just want to keep this ball rolling.
Old 08-13-2007, 10:43 PM

no way i'm doing anything involving money, especially with a guy who registered less than a month ago.
Old 08-13-2007, 10:51 PM

yeah, don't know if i'm down for cash but i'll probably play along

5'11" probably 230 lbs but some residual muscle mass for sure...30 lbs probably the max i would want to lose, but maybe not even that much...definitely want it off by thanksgiving

pics later
Old 08-14-2007, 12:54 PM

I'd prefer not to do it for loot either. Anywho I'm a somewhat newbie poster but I think we should maybe have a draft or something and split it up into groups and whoever loses the most weight wins. I don't know I'm just popping out suggestions. I'm down close to 25 pounds since the start of the summer but I have a way to go. I just keep thinking of what I want to do when I hit my target weight.

Goals:

Run a marathon
Take up mountain climbing
Mac on honies, more (yes fat kids get loving too but its a confidence thing)
These are just a few.