Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Community
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2007, 01:09 PM

Default Re: Stars response on a chronic staller, with no reason to stall.

[ QUOTE ]
I paid my entry, I can play however I want...

Thanks for the equity!

[/ QUOTE ]

my hero
Old 08-13-2007, 01:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I am amazed at this thread and at so many of the responses from posters I otherwise admire.

Everyone should have some time to consider their decisions. You believe he was taking too long and you let it bother you. You believe it was rude. Perhaps it was. But playing by the rules is still playing by the rules. Some people get upset when they are check-raised. Should we change that rule as well? Oh wait, we like that one.

He played in a way that was +EV for him and -EV for you. I suspect learning to control your emotions will be much more effective for you than a rules change.

[/ QUOTE ]

IMO the time that is allotted to players is there to allow them sufficient time to deliberate over difficult decisions. This is an important aspect of the game, and every player makes use of the time bank when necessary. When players abuse this system by letting the clock running out every hand, I think this constitutes a very clear violation of poker etiquette and this should be sufficient to incur penalties if done consistently, in the same manner that abusive language, etc., is not tolerated. In sum: Stalling in the manner described by OP is clearly against the spirit of the game and I think such behaviour warrants punitive action.

[/ QUOTE ]

Taking time for each decision is not against poker etiquette. Have you ever seem Chris Ferguson play? He takes time for each decision - even when he folds. Did you see the pay-per-view of the WSOP ME? Jerry Yang took the same amount of time - quite a bit of time - for each hand. They had a lot to say about Jerry, but I don't recall any complaining about him taking time.

You may not like it, but I do not believe taking as much time as PS gives us is bad poker etiquette.

[/ QUOTE ]

Again, you are comparing apples to oranges. To construct a more suitable comparison, let's say from the start of the tournament, Jerry Yang would not act unless he was in a hand. He would just sit there until the clock was called on him. Because of an abitrary (imaginary) rule, you weren't allowed to call the clock on him for at least 1 minute. And then he would use up the entire clock and let the dealer muck his cards at the end.

That's a better comparison. And you'd better believe that something would be done about it.

And the WPT comparison that someone listed is AGAIN not the same because it's on the bubble. It's irritating, yes, and if taken to absolute extremes something should be done about it, but stalling from the start of the tournament? Come on, people, you're more intelligent than this.
Old 08-13-2007, 01:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Come on, people, you're more intelligent than this.

[/ QUOTE ]

You give people on the interweb too much credit.
Old 08-13-2007, 01:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Am I the only one who feels the need to wish bodily harm upon tons of posters in this thread? lol donkaments indeed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep.

I wish people would actually read what a thread is about before giving their opinion. This thread has nothing to do with internet connections. This thread has nothing to do with someone legitimately taking time to make a decision. It's about someone who uses a tool for a purpose other than what it is intended, and that use harms other players. It is so clearly wrong but, at this time, not illegal.

And I'm so sick of hearing people say, "Well, it's unenforceable so there's nothing you can do about it".
Old 08-13-2007, 08:40 PM

"It is so clearly wrong but, at this time, not illegal. "

thanks for playing. bye bye now.
Old 08-13-2007, 08:51 PM

I didn't read all the responses, but this post kind of gets under my skin. My brother plays on Stars and he is a quadriplegic, so it takes him a lot of time to play just 1 table. Now honestly, I don't know if something like that was the case here, but it's kind of ridiculous to assume that we know this player is intentionally stalling and actually not having computer problems, multi-tabling or is just disabled. Since this does happen but infrequently, please at least try to chat with the player to see if they are just being a pr ick.
Old 08-13-2007, 09:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I didn't read all the responses, but this post kind of gets under my skin. My brother plays on Stars and he is a quadriplegic, so it takes him a lot of time to play just 1 table. Now honestly, I don't know if something like that was the case here, but it's kind of ridiculous to assume that we know this player is intentionally stalling and actually not having computer problems, multi-tabling or is just disabled. Since this does happen but infrequently, please at least try to chat with the player to see if they are just being a pr ick.

[/ QUOTE ]

I did try to chat with him. He, of course, ignored me. I guess we'll see if he has a physical disability when he plays in Barcelona. Somehow, I doubt his disability is of a physical nature.

Edit: If he is disabled, it somehow magically went away when he had a hand he wanted to play.

Edit again: Read all the responses before you post from now on and you'll realize these things.

Ryan
Old 08-13-2007, 10:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You are right, there are exceptions and we shouldn't be so presumptuous. At the same time, though, it's obvious when some players are stalling and that gets very annoying. Monitoring is an impractical solution, but I still think that some kind of intervention needs to take place, because let's face it, if some ass is going to stall/fold to make the money every time, he's not going to resond like "oh, I'm sorry, I'm stalling to make the money." Anyway, none of this will come to fruition without a united agreement between players because pokerstars and other sites couldn't give a [censored] about this either way.

Barry
Old 08-14-2007, 04:28 PM

My thoughts on this thread:

1. Nothing wrong with OP making this thread. He is wound a little tightly, and his insult-spewing hurts his cause, but that doesn't mean he's wrong.

2. Absolutely nothing wrong with naming the offender. WTF with people saying "yeah stallers should DIAGF, but don't post his screen name."

3. LOLOLOL at all the mindless automatons saying "those are the rules, suck it" as if the rules on a freaking poker website are written in stone like the Ten Commandments. WTF at saying "Agree this rule sucks ass, but it's a rule, so whaddaya going to do?" WTF you do EXACTLY what OP is doing, make some noise and lobby for a rule change!

4. All the red herrings are dumb. "He coulda been called away on a personal emergency." "He coulda been feeding a baby." "He coulda had connection problems." "He coulda been a quadriplegic." When a player times out on EVERY SINGLE HAND, it's obvious that he's none of those things, and no one's arguing that we should time out people who have all those other imagined issues. OP is only talking about a player who is obviously deliberately stalling on every hand.
Old 08-14-2007, 05:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My thoughts on this thread:

1. Nothing wrong with OP making this thread. He is wound a little tightly, and his insult-spewing hurts his cause, but that doesn't mean he's wrong.

2. Absolutely nothing wrong with naming the offender. WTF with people saying "yeah stallers should DIAGF, but don't post his screen name."

3. LOLOLOL at all the mindless automatons saying "those are the rules, suck it" as if the rules on a freaking poker website are written in stone like the Ten Commandments. WTF at saying "Agree this rule sucks ass, but it's a rule, so whaddaya going to do?" WTF you do EXACTLY what OP is doing, make some noise and lobby for a rule change!

4. All the red herrings are dumb. "He coulda been called away on a personal emergency." "He coulda been feeding a baby." "He coulda had connection problems." "He coulda been a quadriplegic." When a player times out on EVERY SINGLE HAND, it's obvious that he's none of those things, and no one's arguing that we should time out people who have all those other imagined issues. OP is only talking about a player who is obviously deliberately stalling on every hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

edit: lmao. you sir need to rethink your statement. Yes my brother nearly times out on every single hand.