Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2007, 07:26 PM

Default Question regarding playing limit vs. NL

I have been exclusively a recreation player up to this point, and now want to starting keeping track of my play and practice good BR management. I will be grinding out the micro cash games, SNGs, and MTTs. My question is that I have in the past seem to do the best at limit poker, all of the mtts that I have either won or made it to the final table were limit games. I want to play NL, but since I have proven better at limit would you guys suggest sticking to that for awhile to build a decent BR and then venturing out to NL. Keep in mind I am going to take it slow and play micros. Or would you suggest going on ahead to the NL games and get a feel for them. I might add that I am not totally unfamilar with NL, I have played several NL sngs and cashed. Also cashed in NL mtts, just never to the final table so no big money.
Old 08-13-2007, 08:08 PM

Default Re: Question regarding playing limit vs. NL

Hey, it's totally up to you. If you have the skills to beat limit hold'em, there's no reason you can't learn and adjust to NL. I played only limit for the longest time until I set aside a small piece of my bankroll to play micro stakes NL - I put in some hours and my bankroll exploded, and I never looked back at limit, so I would give it a serious shot sometime in the future.
Old 08-13-2007, 08:31 PM

If your best game is limit, and you win at it; why would you want to change games? There's nothing wrong w/ learning a new game; try to play NL 10% of the time. If you find you are winning more at NL, increase it until you are playing it 100%. But stick w/ Limit until proven otherwise.
Old 08-13-2007, 08:34 PM

The reason I am considering changing is because it seems like all the mtts with the most earning potential are NL. At least it seems that way. Limit does not seem to attract the large crowds, and therefore the large sums of money.

I guess if I am sticking to cash games though if I were playing limit and making money why would I switch.

I guess I should of been more specific in my OP.
Old 08-13-2007, 08:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The reason I am considering changing is because it seems like all the mtts with the most earning potential are NL. At least it seems that way. Limit does not seem to attract the large crowds, and therefore the large sums of money.

I guess if I am sticking to cash games though if I were playing limit and making money why would I switch.

I guess I should of been more specific in my OP.

[/ QUOTE ]

Try NL MTT's but play Limit cash games. When I first started out, I tried all games. I play my best cash game in Limit although I am better at NL MTT's. You will see a lot of situations come up in MTT's like blind stealing and isolation that a lot of NL players are subpar at. That will give you an edge.
Old 08-14-2007, 12:35 AM

Give it a go, maybe you'll kick yourself for not trying it sooner