Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-08-2006, 06:16 AM

Default weird situation in home game

I was just in a home game playing some NL, it had gotten kind of wild and people weren't paying a whole lot of attention at times. I was in the SB and most of the 10 people at the table limped, I completed, we see a flop. It comes, checks around to the dealer who bets. I call, someone else calls, and the dealer burns and turns. It gives me a good draw, so I pop out a bet, next person folds, then the person who was in the CO seat says "I'm still in, and I woulda called" and puts in the $4 or whatever the flop bet was. Then he raises allin, I call w/ my 4 billion outs and he flips over a straight, which he would have been calling a gutshot on the flop.

Does anyone know what the "official" ruling would be for something like this? I didn't care too much, as its a friendly game, and that guy was hopped up on painkillers and alcohol since he got 2 of his fingers partially cut off a week earlier! I didn't want to raise a fuss due to these reasons, but should I have at the time I bet the turn? If so, what could have been done? Thanks!
Old 03-08-2006, 06:50 AM

Default Re: weird situation in home game

All action on the turn gets undone, the turn card is set aside (not mucked), the dealer burns and turns again so that what would have been the river card is now the turn card, then the turn card is shuffled back into the stub while the turn action is completed. When the turn action is completed, the dealer puts up the river card without burning a card. Proceed as normal.

Alternatively, kick the dealer in the nuts, then do all of this.
Old 03-08-2006, 11:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Alternatively, kick the dealer in the nuts, then do all of this.

[/ QUOTE ]

haha, do all the limpers get to kick him in the nuts or just the people that called the flop action? [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

edit: oh, I think Annorax nailed it, DaveyDonk.
Old 03-08-2006, 12:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]

edit: oh, I think Annorax nailed it, DaveyDonk.

[/ QUOTE ]

After the flop was seen, NOW AbsentMindedBoy wants to call and push?

I'd rule his hand dead for not calling the preflop bet. THEN I'd kick the dealer in the nuts.
Old 03-08-2006, 12:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was just in a home game playing some NL, it had gotten kind of wild and people weren't paying a whole lot of attention at times. I was in the SB and most of the 10 people at the table limped, I completed, we see a flop. It comes, checks around to the dealer who bets. I call, someone else calls, and the dealer burns and turns. It gives me a good draw, so I pop out a bet, next person folds, then the person who was in the CO seat says "I'm still in, and I woulda called" and puts in the $4 or whatever the flop bet was. Then he raises allin, I call w/ my 4 billion outs and he flips over a straight, which he would have been calling a gutshot on the flop.

Does anyone know what the "official" ruling would be for something like this? I didn't care too much, as its a friendly game, and that guy was hopped up on painkillers and alcohol since he got 2 of his fingers partially cut off a week earlier! I didn't want to raise a fuss due to these reasons, but should I have at the time I bet the turn? If so, what could have been done? Thanks!

[/ QUOTE ]

CO's hand is dead. There has been substantial action (a bet and a fold) and he failed to protect his right to act by stopping the action as soon as the dealer burned and turned. Since he didn't call the flop bet his hand is dead.

Now in a friendly home game you might not want to do that (I would only make this ruling in a home game if the player was a chronic angle shooter), but you asked what the "official" decision would be.
Old 03-08-2006, 02:16 PM

To follow up --- Robert's Rules says that substantial action is three players acting , but the rule I frequently see used is two players (in addition I would consider the fact that the dealer burned and turned the same as a player acting so there was substantial action anyway)
Old 03-08-2006, 02:18 PM

This just smells terribly of a cheat. There is action and the card flips and suddenly he sees his gutshot hit and wants to play it? This is just too often the work of a cheater.

If you can't kick him in the nuts I definitely promote saying 'okay you called then...' and then reshuffle and redo the turn and river or whatever the above poster said. This makes him pay for being a [censored] if his card doesn't come (which you all know now what it is).
Old 03-08-2006, 05:19 PM

Since no one was paying attention, he could have said nothing and then had $4 extra in his all-in bet.
Old 03-08-2006, 05:27 PM

Thx for all the replies. The money isn't important to me nor him so I didn't fuss about it. If anything happens similar to this though I'll definitely have them reshuffle and redo the turn regardless of whether I'm in the hand or not. He was seriously out of his mind at the time so I doubt it was any intentional angle shooting. Thanks again.
Old 03-08-2006, 06:31 PM

CO's hand is dead. if he protests, cut off his fingers again.