Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Will I die
Yes 41 47.67%
No 45 52.33%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-13-2007, 04:31 PM

Default Re: How do you order your steak?

[ QUOTE ]
btw, when is it appropriate to send steak back for being overcooked? Does it depend on how high end the restaurant is?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are paying for it, its never inappropriate imo.
Old 08-13-2007, 04:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
btw, when is it appropriate to send steak back for being overcooked? Does it depend on how high end the restaurant is?

[/ QUOTE ]

Never inappropriate, but your risk of spit/dirt on your steak certainly goes up at lower end restaurants.
Old 08-13-2007, 05:05 PM

As a waiter at a mid-high level steakhouse (Izzy's) I wouldn't ever eat our meat over medium. Rare to Medium-Rare is perfect. Blue might be the tastiest, but doesn't sit as well in my stomach.

I get tears in my eyes whenever I have to serve charred, well done filets/ribeyes, or when someone sends back a medium-well steak as "undercooked".

Also, people who don't eat steaks often always think their steaks should be cooked more (ie, they beleive a medium steak should be cooked mostly through, medium-well should have no pink), whereas steak lovers (it is easy to pick these people out) think that medium should still be a bit dripping, and medium-rare should have a darker shade than pink.

As a side note, one observation I've made is that vacationers from Germany always get their steaks cooked well done, whereas people from France get them medium-rare.
Old 08-13-2007, 05:58 PM

Whenever I cooked steaks in a commercial kitchen and got an order for well-done, I just threw it on the back corner of the char grill, covered it with a deep pan, and forgot about it for a while.
Old 08-13-2007, 06:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
BTW I hate how some restaurants try to show how cool they are by undercooking everything, so like Rare is almost raw, medium rare is what "rare" should be, etc.
Yeah genius, bringing me steak that's not what I wanted is so freaking hip.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am glad they finally do this. I have been tired of ordering a RARE steak and getting it cooked medium rare to medium.

I like my steaks blue. I usually pull them off the grill at what would be an internal temperature of 117 degrees.... That is perfec t for me.
Old 08-13-2007, 07:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I have never had steak that was not well done. It just does not seem appealing to me, but maybe one day I'll try medium well.

[/ QUOTE ]

just order a hamburger if you're gonna do that

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, I like burgers fairly rare too but you need to be at a good restaurant that ensures that the center reaches a high enough temperature so that it's safe.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is part of it, but I think the real key is being at a restaurant that's grinding a steak in order to make your hamburger on order, not one that bought pre-ground hamburger meat. The more surface area there is on your food (eg ground up meat vs whole steaks) the more room there is for bad little critters to grow.
Old 08-13-2007, 09:38 PM

I like steaks very rare. Dripping in blood if possible
Old 08-13-2007, 10:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That's odd. I've had some of my best steaks at Outback.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow. I've only been to outback once, since there was never one near me until recently, and while the service and sides and such were pretty decent i thought the steak was fairly low quality, and i ordered the ny strip, it was cooked fine, it just tasted like lower quality meat to me(had probably been frozen ect..). I bbq average supermarket quality steaks all the time that taste so much better.

Also can someone explain to me why the rib eye is so good? I've gotten good quality rib eye's from a local butcher shop, but after i grill them it just seems like the meat to fat ratio is not good, I'm always wanting more after it's gone yet while eating it i get tired of having to always cut around the large lines of fat. I guess that's why i prefer the ny strip, easier to eat.
Old 08-13-2007, 11:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Also can someone explain to me why the rib eye is so good?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a pretty fatty cut of meat and fat makes everything tastier.
Old 08-13-2007, 11:45 PM

Medium Rare.